What route to take?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by SamB, Apr 19, 2010.

1. SamB

SamB New Member

Ok, so I have some questions about gaining IT qualifications and all that good stuff and a bit of reading has convinced me this is a good place to ask them, so here goes!

I have never worked in IT but I have been messing about with computers building them, making them work properly, some very basic networking and all that kind of amateur stuff for years.

I have gotten to the point where i have decided that I would rather eat glass than stay in my current job/profession until I retire so working in IT - more specifically the hardware/support/networking side of things - appeals to me as I have an aptitude for it, I can remember stuff I have done once sometimes years later, and most importantly it actually interests me.

So, my questions are:

What route into getting some kind of industry standard qualifications is going to give me the most knowledge to make up, even if its just a little bit, for my lack of professional experince? Should I go compTIA A+ then start progressing through the Microsoft exams? Or is there a better way?

I dont mind starting at the bottom employment-wise once I get some qualifications, but realistically, as Im sure some of the contributors here have experience in this, just how employable will I be based on the fact I have a piece of paper saying I can do all this stuff but with no professional experience to back it up?

Any advice and information is greatly appreciated.

2. mesob

mesob Bit Poster

Well If I were you I definitely would have started with A+ as it is a defacto on the It support world. And then I could have gone to Network + so that I can get more ideas on networking and all the protocols that are involved in there. Later I would say u either need to follow the cisco way or microsoft way. I am more microsoft oriented guy but once u secure to achieve the above mentioned two certifications I believe that you will have a clear idea on where to head to. With A+ and network + I am sure u ll be able to secure an entry level job on IT support, n then may be ur employers might pay for hatever certifications that u wanted to do.

Certifications: BSc A+ N+ MCP
    WIP: MCSA, CCNA, Server+, Security+
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Sorry, Sam... your post must have been approved after I had already viewed new posts... meaning, yours didn't show up in my new posts list.

If you're looking for certifications to make your CV stand out, I'd recommend the A+, Network+, and MCDST... but no farther until you get some real-world experience under your belt. Having a bunch of certifications that don't match your experience level is rarely a good thing.

Well, entry-level IT jobs are jobs that don't require experience. By definition, an entry-level IT job is a job in which you enter the career field. So there will be a bunch of people without experience applying for those jobs. Getting a few entry-level certifications like the ones I described above will help give you an edge over your competition.

The first IT job is almost always the hardest. There are a bunch of people trying to break into IT these days, what with the economy and unemployment the way it is. But don't get discouraged or give up... you'll get that first job eventually. Remember, all of us were in your shoes at the start of our careers - wanting an IT job, but without any real-world experience. We did it; you can too!

Welcome to the forums. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!