what next ?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by monk129, Jun 14, 2011.

1. monk129

monk129 New Member

Hi all, long time reader, first time poster

A couple of weeks ago I passed the Network + and the A+ at the start of the year. I also have some BTEC's in IT from my last job.

I'm not really looking for a career change as I'm pretty happy where I am but was just wondering what is generally the next step ? Is it better to go down specific MS products or maybe try the CISCO route ? like i say it is just interest at present but I'm thinking about a backup plan for the future.

To be honest my next area of interest is really web development (not that I'm very good) but the only cert I can find in that area is CIW of which I'm finding conflicting opinions on. I also bought a security + book which I though would be interesting but it seemed duller than I thought.

I suppose it is all down to personal interest but it would be great to hear what some of you guys did after the standard A+ N+ route

Many thanks !!

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Well the ccna is for people who already manage and support cisco devices.

You need to decide what you want to do. Many employers looking for web designers are more interested in seeing your portfolio of work rather than the CIW this is why it isn't popular.

Have you considered 70-680?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Web development is a huge subject these days requiring professionals with all kinds of skills - designers, database people, programmers, SEO/copywriters, the list goes on.

You need to think about where your interests and abilities lie. If you want to get into the 'design' stuff, you may want to look at CIW or Adobe certs (or just buy a couple of good books and get started).

If you are more into the technical stuff, you may want to think about getting into either scripting with something like Javascript, or programming with something like VB.NET.

Not everything has a cert attached to it, although tere are plenty of courses out there, or you could consider something like the OU.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. systempsyche

systempsyche Nibble Poster

most people after the A+, N+ route go to microsoft certs (mcsa/e).

Certifications: A+, network+, server+, mcdst, mcp, ccent
    WIP: mac integration, ACSP, ACTC
  5. scottymac1979

scottymac1979 New Member

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll maybe buy a couple of cheap books from Amazon and see what sparks my interest. I like the programming side of web development and have done a bit with PHP/MySQL so maybe I'll just stick to the free online resources for that and try to increase my skillset/create a portfolio. Thanks again !