What next ???

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Cjwhite8, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Cjwhite8

Cjwhite8 New Member

Hi,

I am currently studying for my A+ exam but I am unsure of what to do next.
    The problem I have is that I enjoy all aspects of the IT industry from programming to installation ( Engineering ) and i am not sure of what qualifications would be appropriate. Is there a course that anyone knows of that covers all aspects are they generally vendor specific ? If the later which ones would people recommend as a starting point ?

Thank you for your time

2. F.A

F.A Bit Poster

Best course to do after A+ is Network+, I think everyone on here would agree

3. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

Network+ isn't bad if you want to go down the systems engineering route as you said, not so helpful if you want to go down the software dev route.

First thing I'd say is think about what you want to do in a bit more detail, software development and systems engineering (servers, hardware, MS stuff) tend to be seperate branches, you don't see that many jobs that involve both on a day to day basis.

4. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Byte Poster

Sam as the above - you could go down and A+ and N+ use them as electives for the MCSA (which is an IT support cert). Once you have finished that you could get started on MS developer certs. One thing you should do is start applying to entry level IT jobs as soon as you can.

I also want to be multi skilled in support and programming and will most likely follow this route. Might I add that PERL is an excellent programming language to learn as it is heavily used in virtualisation software, something you will be coming across a lot in support.

Certifications: N+
    WIP: A+ Security+ ITIL V3
  5. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

You tend to pickup some programming knowledge in support, although I say programming but probably better described as scripting really.