What MCSE Course

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by eglc02, Mar 5, 2007.

1. eglc02

eglc02 New Member

I'm coming under increasing preasure from the powers that be to get some bits of paper under my belt. There are several MCSE companies out there offering MCSE training but which ones are the best? Who offers the best value for money? Are these fast track boot camps any good or are you better off spending your cash on a longer course?

2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I would not consider boot camps at all as they are just a money making type of I.T bussiness. You would be better of investing in the MS press training books and then installing VMware on a fast computer.

This way you can read the books and do the hands in a virtualisation environment getting valuable hands on practical experience. After doing the above then get transcenders and your pretty much set to take the exams.

Well come to the exciting and challenging world of I.T:biggrin Cheerio.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I also recommend self-study. You can study as quickly as you want, moving at your own pace... and it's a heck of a lot cheaper. Study until you truly understand the concepts... take a practice exam or two... then take the live exam.

Best of luck!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

IMHO, the fast track courses would only really be very useful if you already have most of the knowledge already and want to brush up your skills, but that's just me...

Apart from that, there are really only 2 other options:

1. Self-study, a great option - one thing is that it isn't for everyone. This is the cheapest option. Or...

2. Find yourself a college that is a Microsoft academy, again this isn't everyone's cup o' tea, it is a little more expensive than self-study and it is classed based. However it is alot cheaper than alot of private training companies out there.

Hope this helps and good luck on your studies.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. oggler

oggler Byte Poster

I don't know where you are. If in the UK, then there are loads of training colleges etc that do various courses packaged together, so you can start with an MCP that would be covered in 4 weeks and go onto another module etc. Look to see which ones offer the kind of thing that they used to do under the 'New Deal' scheme. You can get your dole money + another £25 p/w along with travelling expenses and within a few months you would have got your certification, loads of hands on experience and it would have not cost you a penny.

Certifications: A+, N+, Sec+, MCSA W2k3-Security, CEH
    WIP: CWNA, CWSP, CISSP
  6. oggler

oggler Byte Poster

Sorry, just read your post agai. It seems you are already in the IT business. In that case go for self study and do some online practice exams or buy some good package. I really recommend ExamForce. They have some very very good material and are quite reasonable. Their material comes with a study engine that can be used in exam mode, tutorial mode and book. It also includes simulation software to help with 'real' life microsoft scenarios.

Certifications: A+, N+, Sec+, MCSA W2k3-Security, CEH
    WIP: CWNA, CWSP, CISSP