What is your annual training budget?

Discussion in 'Polling Station' started by Kitkatninja, Feb 12, 2009.

?

Poll closed Mar 14, 2009.
  1. Zero - I am not allowed any training by my employers

15 vote(s)
    46.9%
  2. £0 - £200

4 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. £201 - £500

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. £501 - £800

2 vote(s)
    6.3%
  5. £801 - £1000

2 vote(s)
    6.3%
  6. £1001+

9 vote(s)
    28.1%
  1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Just a quick poll...

-Ken

idea for this taken from another forum:)

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

I saw this on edugeek first, you stealer you! :p

For me.. it doesn't apply, I'm still on a low rung of the ladder.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. Kitkatninja

Heck, that's why I placed a link in the small print :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  4. Qs

Oh I know, it just made me smile. :p

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  5. Kitkatninja

As for me, every year I put £1k in for every person in IT Services. Where or not we get the full £1k training is a different matter. Added to that, budgets do get reviewed periodically, so budget can change mid-year - hence why I put training budget, not how much actually gets spent...

Plus, we don't always get to pick and choose the courses... For instance application specific one for our MIS, child protection awareness, various roadshows/awareness briefings/conferences all take a chunk of the training budget.

And last, it does not get rolled over year to year...

-Ken

6. Kitkatninja

lol, isn't that one of the idea's of "open-source" IT, but in a forum manner :biggrin

-Ken

7. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Ken, whats with all these swear words 'training budget'? :D

Seriously, we borrow a book which has been round the block a few times and have to wait for months to get our exam vouchers!

I request my exam vouchers before I even open a book up on the subject to ensure that I get the required voucher on time ish.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Training is encouraged, but I have to pay for it.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  9. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

Training is also encouraged where I work any kind for example two of our team go to uni one day a week, one went on a two day Juniper training course recently and me I self study all my certs 

Work pays for everyone I know the uni ones cost a few thousand mine will come to around a grand this year as well I expect.

Certifications: A few.
  10. Qs

My current situation is that work doesn't actively encourage training, but if you're determined enough and self-study then you can claim back any exam costs through expenses... but only if you pass.

How's that for an incentive?

Qs

11. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I think when you're higher up technically you get more money for training. My two courses last year cost the company about 4k - but I did have to agree to be bonded for a year on a sliding repayment scale for one of them (i.e. the course cost £2000, so if I leave six months later I pay back £1000 out of my own pocket)

Strangely, I've found that for government jobs you actually do far less of the real work involved in implementations (usually done by contractors or consultants) but get far more money for training - the last job I had money was pretty much no object when it came to training, but they never expected me to actually put it into practice when it came to implementing anything - if I'd been so inclined I could have got a bunch of consultants to do all the work for me!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  12. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Sounds like the environment I work in...

What you mean you want to better yourself so that you can provide an enhanced service to our customers. How dare you think like that!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  13. dwhyte85

dwhyte85 Nibble Poster

We are encouraged not to train, our Director has no formal IT quals and nor does the IT manager, neither do they have certs of any kind - they think of it as a threat!!!

I have funded my own exams and own training, I assign £150.00 to each exam inclusive of exam cost.

Certifications: Bsc. Comp Sci, MCP, MCTS, MCSA, CCENT, MBCS
    WIP: ICND 2, CEH and converting MCSA to MCITP: Enterprise Administrator
  14. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

Sounds like my place.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA, MCSA:M, MCSE, MCTS
    WIP: A few
  15. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

That's sadly the way many companies view training for their employees.

16. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Yep your right. The strange thing is it costs a hell of alot more to hire new employees, think of the time and costs of the following:

1. Placing Adverts, locallly, internet.
    2. Sifting threw endless CV's
    3. Choosing candidates
    4. Interview candidates (normally a pabel interview).
    5. 2nd Stage Interview
    6. Hiring candidate with the costs involved with recruitment firm.
    7. Having candidate learn the infrastrcuture and process for 'x' months

Dang it pay for some training instead you numpty's

17. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

In my first role, so don't get much in the way of official training.
    My boss offered to pay for one of my N+ books, so that must count :p

18. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Yes - but that is all conducted by the ridiculously huge numbers of HR staff sitting about in offices doing precisely f*** all.

19. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

All of my previous employers have been willing to pay for books and exams, but not for live training. Not sure how much was budgeted... but not one has said no to a book or an exam request, so I likely never hit their budgeted amounts.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  20. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Well they are doing something - which is choosing not to give me a pay rise!