What is the Windows 7 equivalent of the MCDST course called?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Stone Fox, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Stone Fox

Stone Fox New Member

And do you think it would be more use to study than an MCDST as windows 7 uptake appears to be quite fast, and still accelerating!

2. Bongo_Fury

Bongo_Fury Bit Poster

I think the only Windows 7 exam is the 70-680 "Configuring Windows 7"

Counts towards the MCITP i think?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
    Certifications: A+ MCDST
    WIP: N+
  3. Stone Fox

Stone Fox New Member

thanks for the help bongo_fury!

love the name btw... :biggrin

4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

It's called the MCITP: Windows 7, Enterprise Desktop Support Technician, two exams.

70-680
    70-685

Hope that helps.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

I refer you to this thread http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/thread37553.html

The MCDST is still incredibly relevant and will continue to be so for a while yet and with MS offering a single exam upgrade to Win 7 it makes sense to 'stack the deck' and go for the MCDST followed by the upgrade and get extra CV fodder :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

This. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. crazy horse

crazy horse Byte Poster

Agree with the above! At my last company (1 year ago) they were only just moving from 2000 to Windows XP so plenty more life in the MCDST yet.

Also an alternative to the MCITP: Windows 7, Enterprise Desktop Support Technician is the MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator 7 (this is good if you are working on deployment of Windows 7 in enterprise) it comprises the 70-680 and 70-686.

8. BosonMichael

For the record, the 680+685 combo will also require an HDI exam to get the MCITP: EDST7 certification. For those who don't want the added hassle and cost, you can pursue the 680+686 combo to get the MCITP: EDA7 certification.

I am gonna take a wild shot in the dark and guess that most people are gonna pass on the EDST7 cert option. :rolleyes:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  9. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

FYI Mike.

Microsoft changed their minds on the HDI being a mandatory component for obtaining EDST7.

See here

So all that's now required to obtain MCITP:EDST7 are these two exams:-

•70-680: TS: Windows 7, Configuring
    •70-685: Pro: Windows 7, Enterprise Desktop Support Technician

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  10. BosonMichael

Excellent... will have to mark that down as one of Microsoft Learning's (few) good decisions.

That said... there's really no reason to have two desktop certifications for W7. That gets classified into the somewhat larger pile of MSL's decisions. :rolleyes: :p