What is diffirence between MS Technet & MSDN ?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by tuvanit, Nov 12, 2006.

1. tuvanit

tuvanit Nibble Poster

What is diffirence between MS Technet & MSDN ?

I wanna take some reference book from MS, so I heard about 2 things like above.

Anyone help?

Kind regards!

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: MCSA 2003
  2. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Erm, MS Technet is a technology resource, so you get loads of technical info on most MS products, how to's, why's, troubleshooting etc.

MSDN is for developering your IT infra-structure, I think it stands for MS Developers Network. Basically you subscribe and MS send you pre-released software for testing and developing with a view to implementing it into your IT infra-structure. You get pre-released operating systems, discs for application environments, loads of tools and developement kits, and they all come on pretty colour coded discs!

I imagine you would want to use Technet as apposed to MSDN, but i'm not sure if they actually do books. The Technet website has loads of useful resources and articles on it, which you don't need to subscribe to to use.

What do you want the books for?

Hope this helps.

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Technet is mainly papers and articles relating to MS products and resources. It's all good stuff and mainly free - but I think it may cost to subscribe to the mag.

MSDN is a fairly big undertaking. It costs you a few grand to subscribe, but you get to download pretty much any MS product for testing and development. It's the big brother of the action pack! There is some free content, but it is more MCSD than MCSE if that makes sense...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. tuvanit

tuvanit Nibble Poster

Thanks!

I'm interested in Network, OS technology (not much about programming)

So, my choice is Technet ^^

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: MCSA 2003