What is an mcse worth?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by immoral giant, Jan 28, 2006.

1. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

try this Exam Cram Questions

as with the time thing.. dont rush your studies.. if money is tight make sure you 'over-study' and pass first time! Comptia exams arent cheap so make sure you really ready to pass.. study little by little.. if you read 5 pages one night and 1 chapter the next just make sure you understand the material well..

what material are you using for A+?

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

If there are no centres near you then there are many in central London near the rail terminii.

But it depends on where in Sussex you are.

I see there are testing centres in Burgess Hill and Fareham, but if you have no transport these may be harder to get to than London.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

Some people will say that certs are only good for when you're looking for a job. Some people don't do them at all and have excellent career prospects just through experience and on the job knowledge.

Training providers use market values of certs to sell their courses, they'll make concrete statements like 'Do our course and get MCSE certified and walk into a £35k job in 3 months!' but neglect to mention that without experience you'll be looking at a £15-17k entry level helpdesk.

I can't find any of those sites that show the current market values of certs (I'm sure someone else can :p ) but they are based on the value of people with <whatever cert> + about 5 years experience, however some training providers will use these stats to sell their courses to people with no experience whatsoever.

I've found them useful for jobhunting and on the job, because not only has the knowledge proven useful and been relevant to my job but studying for certs has taught me ways of approaching tasks that I wouldn't have known otherwise. It has saved me plenty of time (and my companies downtime) when I've approached a problem the way I've learnt from studying and that methodology has resolved the issue in the most efficient way.

There will be a lot of material that seems irellavent but you never know when it will become useful, it's all in there for a reason, even if that reason is a deeper understanding of 'the bigger picture'

I'd say now you've got a foot in the door don't look back. Take your certs one at a time- there's no rush to get MCSE and you'll take it in better if you really concentrate on learning the material rather than just passing the exam.

I've just started my MCP, I don't know if I'll take it all the way to MCSE or even MCSA for that matter, I'm focusing purely on the one exam I'm doing now, I'm doing it quite slowly making sure I fully understand all the material.

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Like the other guys have said, you are just basing this on your current job. I few of the contracts at my current job involve supporting an old NT network (they can’t afford an upgrade) and also some old UNIX servers that have printers connected to them with BNC NICs.

The “I will never need to know this” attitude won’t help if you change jobs and there will almost certainly be a totally different IT infrastructure. Keep an open mind. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I have worked on 10Base2 networks for years and I am sure there are still some around. Knowing how things have evolved over the years is important.

I was doing some video editing yesterday using a firewire connection and knowledge of USB2 versus firewire is worthwhile when doing this kind of work.

http://www.barefeats.com/usb2.html

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)