What does your father mean to you?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by tripwire45, Jun 18, 2005.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

In the US, it's Father's Day this coming Sunday. It's a day to honor the man who sired us and raised us and guided us into maturity.

I'm almost 51 years old. My father is 73. He has always been a strong, definite, and somewhat demanding father. He was a firefigher in the Air Force, a carpenter, a hunter, and a cowboy (he was still working on cattle drives -- yes, like in the American western movies -- into his 60s) and everything I never was. He was a difficult man to impress and it was hard to live in his shadow.

Yet all he ever wanted was for me to find my own course in life and to be happy. As much of a "tough guy" as he seemed, I still remember being 9 years old and watching him on his day off, on his hands and knees stripping the wax off the kitchen floor by hand so my mother wouldn't have to do it.

He entered the Air Force with an 8th grade education. When I was 6, I remember him studying for his high school equivalency exams. He was and is a very intellegent man, yet poverty and want prevented him from accessing the opportunities you and I take for granted. He helped me learn the meaning of hard work and education. When I lost my job and my career over 5 years ago, his example enabled me to reenter university and become a full-time student while also working full time at a laborious job.

He has been a wonderful grandfather for me children, sharing a life and experiences I couldn't give them.

Now, what does your father mean to you?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Fathers Day on Sunday here as well Trip.

My Dad was in the police force for 10 years or so when I was born and even now he has that attitude that he is alway right and everyone else must be wrong.

He used to be very sporting, playing football for the police (played for Skegness town and they won they national championships), rugby and cricket for Skegness as well. Was playing competitive cricket right up to his 50th birthday. Badminton, squash, hockey you name it he's played it or watched it and is an expert in it. He plays evey sport/game to win and winning is everything. I never took to much to sport exept golf which he taught me to play.

My dad has always supported me in everything that I wanted to do. If I wanted to go to university the offer was there, I didn't but my brother and sister did. He did help me with the deposit for my IT course.

He is an intelligent man (I suppose it can miss a generation) but does not hold any formal qualifications. I feel that I can always get a logical point of view from him and he would do anything in his power to help me and my family.

I will always think the world of him as do my kids. But I do think at times, "for goodness sake Dad lighten up a bit and chill". Wonder if my two kids will be saying the same about me :dry

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  3. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

My dad is 52 years old, and sometimes he still acts like he's 12.

He's always been quite distant in his feelings; he finds it difficult to express himself in words, but true to style, his actions speak the volumes that are missed out.

He has always been true to himself, and taught me that working hard, and respecting yourself and others, is the best and most satisfying way to achieve things.

He is showing me that growing up doesn't mean growing old: he's vibrant, he's funny, and he's the kind of man that's still going to be partying and drinking well into his pension days.

He's my Dad :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

My Dad's 74, fit as a fiddle, and happy to admit that he is now on the "last lap". He's getting a little forgetful from time to time, but remembers all the details of things important to him and his family, dating back to his childhood, and mine and my brother's. He has always played it straight down the line with us, and never lifted his hand, or sworn in front of his kids ever.

Took a while for us to really establish a one to one relationship, but late as it was, we have now, and are both happy about it. Only last week, I took my Dad for a pint, and it was a great experience for both of us.

To paraphrase Arroryn, if I may - my Dad's the Man ! :hug

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity