What commands need to be run in Server 2008 R2 core for Hyper-V manager and SCVMM?

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by RyeGuy, Apr 9, 2010.

1. RyeGuy

RyeGuy Bit Poster

Hey guys,

Here is a brief explanation of what we have:

2x Poweredge R710's - Windows Server 2008 Enterprise R2 server core w/ Hyper-V
    1x Poweredge R610 - Windows Server 2008 Enterprise R2 running SCVMM 2008
    1x Equallogic PS6000E SAN
    2x Powerconnect 6224

A little while back I setup a test environment to learn virtualization a little on my own before implementing in a production environment, when setting this up I ran into a few issues where I had to run some commands to open up the firewall so MMC and certain remote management things would work. I wrote them down at the time and now going back through it appears that some of these commands dont need to be run in R2. Basically I am looking for a pretty straight forward, here are the commands and then SCVMM/Hyper-V Manager should work. I have been trying to get some answers by googleing but unsuccessful on finding any cookie cutter type how to. Do you think it would be best just to start setting up the environment and as I come across "Access problems" then find the answers? Or does anyone know/have a pretty straight forward how to guide on setting up this type of environment?

Thanks in advance!

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCSA, MCTS, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  2. Danshand

Danshand Nibble Poster

Hello Ryeguy,

If you are running the core/hypervisor version of Hyper-V R2, you will get a Window which has various options for you to configure. One of the sub menu's is the menu for remote access. In here you can specify RDP, WMI and other remote management tasks, and the Windows firewall will open the correct ports for you.

If you could like to specify ports yourself, use the command line.

Take a look at: http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/Using-Netsh-Windows-Firewall.html

Certifications: Many.
    WIP: MCITP, ITIL