What are you doing for New Years Eve?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by tripwire45, Dec 31, 2008.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Thought we could all share our plans, particularly since we represent places from many parts of the globe. It's not quite 8 a.m. where I am, but most of you are a lot closer to the New Year.

My plans? I haven't done anything "special" on New Year's Eve for many years now. Mainly, I hide inside from all the drunk drivers on the road. I'll probably go to bed before midnight, depending on what the missus and my daughter are up to, but it's always possible enough noise makers will go off around midnight to wake me up.

After today, I get another 4 days off. Probably hit some writing projects, professional and otherwise. Yesterday, I started practicing with the vi editor enough to be able to create a basic document, including the HTML, which is what I was shooting for. Not very proficient with the commands yet, but that's why you practice. Still trying to decide if I want to use Vim or stick with "old school" vi.

So, what are *you* going to be doing tonight?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

I'm planning to attend a small get together with some of my friends to see in the new year. We don't get the chance to see each other like we used to when we were young (teenagers), so it's a nice excuse.

Last year I went out for new year but ended up feeling misserable. So many people were out, falling over themselves, being sick etc. and it made me feel physically sick at the human race. Odd, I know, but I could only see humans behaving in such ways as some sort of disease upon the earth.. :rolleyes:

I hope it's better this year anyway :)

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  3. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

I am staying at home. Got a couple of beers in the fridge and my favourite meal to cook. I will probably watch a bit of TV, got a comedy show I recorded from last night to watch (Shooting Stars). I have just started playing Call of Duty: World at War on my Wii, so will have a bash at that too. I usually listen to Ian Collins on TalkSport for the countdown to new year, he has been on the last few years with a special 'New Year' show, hopefully he is on again this year. Whatever you guys and gals get up to, have a good one! :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

For many years I have been seeing the New Year in at a restaurant. I am careful to choose one that doesn't have a band, or is too rowdy!

Also I choose one that I can walk to, as taking the car means either I don't drink (Boo!) or I might get breathalysed (also Boo!).

I have been a great enthusiast of vi for years, and even when using vim I tend to treat it as vi - just because I don't remember what vim has extra!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The same thing we do every night...

TRY TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

POIK!

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  7. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

Well just sit glued to my laptop as well as the tube while sipping Michel Picard Carberenet Sauvignon and wait for the countodowns to begin on CNN..... before then will be watching Animal Planet though:D. Smashing 2009 folks in advance:p

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  8. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

I hate New Years, it's such a rip off. I like to do a house party or something similar and not pay out X amount more than I would any other night of the year to attend the same bar or club.

This year we're taking a big cooler of booze down to the beach and having our own party there with friends. It's free and you get to see all the hotel fireworks down Seven Mile Beach for free!

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Got the beers and the Jack Daniels ready. Will have a few tunes on the stereo and see in the new year with my wife.

Been out and about today catching up with the family so want to chill out tonight. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I have a similar plan but I will be watchin Sherlock holmes with basil rathbone and playing fallout 3

A pinky and the brain fan eh :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  11. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Nowt

Hate it

Bah and Humbug

That is all

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  12. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Pah. Just because you've got to plan what to do with those DCs *runs again*

Went to Pizza Hut with the other half as I couldn't be bothered to cook - I paid, so it's all fair game.

Just running a bath. Going to settle in with a book (Made in America, Bill Bryson) and after the bath maybe play some Champo.

I wished my parents new year in Brisbane some hours ago, and they're the only ones that mattered to me tonight, being so far away and all.

May write some Graces later - had some tantalising ideas for story bits, so want to get them down on paper before they flit away.

Then New Year hugs and bed :)

Anyone made any resolutions?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  13. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

Not too keen on it myself. The drunken relatives trying to hug you :eek:, everyone hung over and miserable the next day, and loads of fireworks setting the dog off.

I'll be looking after a nine-year old with an upset stomach, reinstalling my laptop (new year, fresh OS) and hopefully, if the reinstall goes well, carrying on with some .Net stuff.

Certifications: HND Computing
  14. BosonMichael

No, seriously... every night, I TRY TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD! :p

...still working on that one... :dry

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  15. BosonMichael

He's not truly the "other half" until you no longer divide your finances in two. :twisted: Just sayin'. ;)

With my wife, I no longer say "my money" and "her money"... it's ALL her money. I know my place. :hit

16. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

We have a joint account. The bills are 'our money'. Luxuries aren't divvied up - that way we still 'treat' each other. It works quite well :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  17. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

That'll change. :wink:

Won't it, "Brain". :biggrin

[​IMG]

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  18. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

Giving my head a rest from DNS (I have been monstering this subject over the last week or so, ouch mien brain!)

Few beers in the fridge, sainsburys had ran out of Jack Daniels so Jim Bean will do :biggrin

Just me and the other half, going to watch the quiz of the year. Most of the people we know are away and I really can't be arsed with taxis, overcrowded pubs and queuing for everything (Bah humbug, thats really does sound miserable)

Anyway, happy new year to the lot of you :)

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA
  19. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Staying in with the family. A few beers, see the new year in then bed.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  20. BosonMichael

Oooooh, yes. NARF!