Weird issue

Discussion in 'Software' started by Theprof, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Hey,

Recently I've updated an application that a group of users use from time to time. The way the application is setup is it's running of a network drive K: (in this case). When I install the application I install it from the network drive not the CD. On the CD there are instructions that explain step by step on how to setup a share on the network for multiple users.

When I install the application I usually place it in program files and run the application itself from the K: drive. The reason I install the application in C: drive is because there are certain files needed that need be registered with the OS in order to run the software of the K: drive.

Here is my issue, I've just recieved a new cd with the updated files and I went ahead and installed it. Everything went well and everything works well except for the fact that only one user can access the application at a time. Meaning that when the application launches it creates a file with a .LCK extension which from what I understand is a lock file and when another user tries to launch the application it gives him/her an error stating that cannot open application due to K:\directory\subdirectory\*.lck (* meaning what ever the file names is which I don't remember).

This was working fine before the upgrade, meaning all the users were able to access the application at the same time.

Steps I did to troubleshoot. Reinstall everything from scratch, tried installing both to the local pc and the network drive, there were certain files that were created in the c: drive on the users workstations which I deleted and had the application recreate. Checked the security and all the users have the modify right on the entire directory.

I am starting to think that it's got something to do with the new version because I've done updates in the past of this application and never had any issues. This is a first.

Can anyone recommend anything?

Thanks.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hm - My first thought is that either the update version is a non-shareable one sent by mistake, or, you don't have a license to use it shared, and they finally got round to enforceing it.

Did the old version create a lock file?

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

I knwo this may sound dumb, but what is the application and have you tried the programmers website for support to see if anythings listed there?

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

It could be a license issue, maybe the update version is restricted in some way.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Harry.

I don't believe the old version created lock files since everyone was able to access the application at the same time. The thing about licensing is that on a cd instructions it indicates that it is possible to have it running on the network drive which I will assume is for sharing purposes. I was going to restrict the modify permission on that folder but then when I looked where the file was created it was in the database folder, so I can't do that.

The application is called Electronic blue book and I have called the help desk but they guy seemed useless, it felt as if he didn't know much.

It could be, but I don't know why they didn't mention that if that was the case, it's weird I find. I guess I will have to look into licensing like you and Harry mentioned.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
  6. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  7. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Well - I don't know this particular app, but it is perfectly possible to have an app running from a network drive but not being multi-user - think diskless workstations.

I don't suppose you can go back to the previous version in the interim?

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  8. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

It definately looks like a licensing issue to me. I also have a couple of applications that are network versions but it also depends on the license key you have. One is the standard one user key and the other is a multi user key and opens it up for network use.

I'd check first to see which version you have and it's possible that you might need to get the multi user key.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  9. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Thanks for the replies everyone, I appreciate the help. I managed to figure out what the problem was. The application uses the Borland Data engine and the main problem was that in the BDE administrator settings I had to set PARADOX which is the native driver that the application uses to the K:\ instead of C:\. I was loosing my mind over this because I knew that it was working before but I just couldn't see why it would not work anymore. On top of that the senior admin installed it on citrix and it worked fine form there, so that I knew that it was a license issue. (the admin failed to mentioned that when I asked the first time.) Once I got it figured out it was just reinstalling the app because I've done a bunch different setup configs of the application trying to see if maybe I made a mistake in installing it or something.

So 2 hours of troubleshooting later finally it's working. Oh and to answer Harry's question before I did notice that it still creating lock files and now the application is working with the file. So I guess previous installations must also had the lock file.

It's incerdible how much you can learn about an application and how it works by troubleshooting it. Next time this happens I know exactly where to look.

Thanks again everyone.