Weekend courses for CCNA

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by jason_scott, Oct 3, 2008.

1. jason_scott

jason_scott New Member

Hi there everyone

I am a complete newbie, so please be jentle!

Hope you dont mind giving me some advice.

I have been working in IT for 2 years, and have just started studying for my CCNA using the Cisco Press study guide (its huge!), and I have 2x 2610's and a 3750 to tinker with. I am considering taking a weekend course to get some extra hands on (as I work evenings too, so free time is limited), and was wondering if you guys (or gals of course) had any experiences of such weekend courses?

I am consdering either www.asrsystems.co.uk or www.commsupport.co.uk. Both seem Ok to me, but was wondering if anyone has been on a weekend course, and if so, how they found it?

Thanks for reading!

Jason

2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Even though im not working now i am in the process of starting my ccna and this is how i look at your situation mate - you already in the industry and looks like you on a solid footing - after 2 years you building up? so im guessing there is no rush in getting the CCNA? Weekends seem to be your free time so why not study on your own for the CCNA? Maybe go the two exam route? Honestly how much will you learn on those courses that you cant pick up yourself? So save your money and go at your own pace and get some kit with the money you would have used! I have bought a 2900xl and 2620 switch with a WIC-IT for 60 quid on ebay so there bargins on there! If you going to start to getting kit going maybe give this a read:

http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/24916

and good luck! 8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. jason_scott

jason_scott New Member

Hi Zimbo

Thanks for the fast reply, and for the cool link!

Understand what you are saying, and am sure you are right. Guess I am too eagar to get things moving forward as seems such a long slog for the CCNA, as I am 100% against any kind of brain dumps. (call me old fashioned!)

Must say I am enjoying the studying as its an interesting topic (I currently only provide desktop support), so will take your advice and knuckle down.

Again, thanks for your post.

Jason

4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

i wouldnt mind a desktop role!!! And dont worry we totally ant-braindump here!! :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  5. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

i'd reccommend doing it at home, courses will get you the certs but i've found you get little experience and it means nothing in the real world :(

Grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  6. HMSPresident

HMSPresident Bit Poster

Save your money and buy some kit from eBay. I've been on the WEEK long BootCamp course before, and the people who were 'complete newbies' struggled immensely..

Unless you're the sort of person who can hear something once and remember it verbatim, it'll take longer than a weekend to take it all in..

Certifications: See sig..
    WIP: BCMSN