Web pages not loading properly or downloads from internet

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by AJ, Nov 8, 2003.

1. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Topic moved from Hardware and Upgrade Forum:

My Mum-in-law has a problem with her win98 machine. It will not download complete pictures, only have of them are shown. Also if you try and download an application from the net (tried mailwasher 2.5Mb) did it in 6 seconds. Not bad for a dialup. Of course it hasn't completed the download only 56Kb of it. I've cleared the temp files, cookies and the temp internet files but no luck. I have also tried it with a different Modem but still the same.

Windows 98, 128 RAM, pci video card, intel 300 basically a standard machine.

Any ideas??

Andrew

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Need a bit more info to troubleshoot. How long has she been using the machine under the current configuration and when did she discover this problem? Did it have a previous period of good functioning when she could download ok and pictures came in whole? Was anything recently changed in her computer...downloaded patches...updated browser...change in ISP...? Anything? Does this happen for all sites or only certain ones? Is this a problem 24/7 or only at certain times?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I'd say get straight onto the ISP - doesn't sound like anything at your Mum-in-law's end.

Another thought - have you checked how the Page file is set-up on the machine (OK, Swap file in W98, before Si comes a-gunning :roll: ) ?
    The default Windows setting is "Let Windows decide" or words to that effect. Although with 128 Mb RAM, it shouldn't be an issue ...

Just a few quick thoughts.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Tryed changing ISP to Tiscali to see if that was the prob. Pages loaded no probs, so I have contacted her ISP (Talkgas) to find out what the score is. Will keep you all informed.

Thanks folks

Andrew

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong