Web Developer - Does anyone know best training route?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by katonskies, Mar 1, 2008.

1. katonskies

katonskies Bit Poster

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could please offer some advice. I really want to learn web development but unsure of the best training route to follow in order to get into the industry. Im currently learning a CIW foundation course and also have the CIW developer course to follow on after that. I understand that this will only give me a basic understanding and a starting point. I would ideally like to then move into learning about .NET and anything else that may be required in order to get a job as a web developer. Just seem a little lost at the moment as to what direction to take. I've contacted various training providers but unsure of what course would give me everything I need. I plan to try to learn photoshop and dreamweaver in my spare time and also try to create a couple of my own websites just to get the hang of things.

If anyone could offer any advice on what training would be best suited it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Tony

2. Indo77

Indo77 Nibble Poster

I would be very clear about what you specifically want to get into. Most public organisations use Microsoft technologies such as SharePoint and .Net. There is no harm in wanting to learn Photoshop, but remember this delves more into the area of Multimedia/graphic Design as opposed to web development. No matter what training providers/lecturers tell you, there is a clear distinction between a web developer and a Multimedia Designer. I should know - I am a web developer and work alongside Designers, collaborating with them on how they want a website to look. Most Computer Science degrees or HNDs will approach the area of web technologies.

Certifications: BSc (Hons) HNC
  3. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

Would it not be better to consolidate what you've learned by the end of your current or second job and try to get a job based on that - once you are there you will start to learn new skills, and be exposed to .Net or whatever else you find you end up pursuing. At least that way you will be learning the skills that you need while being employed.

Certifications: Pet Geekery
    WIP: cure for insomnia
  4. katonskies

katonskies Bit Poster

thanks for the advice guys. Would learning visual basic be a good starting point? I am currently weighing up my options for the best route. I have just had a course tutor visit me from the home learning college who for some reason I didnt really trust what he was telling me. He was trying to sell me an ACITP level 3 diploma in VB learning .NET, do you by any chance know what the best course would be without doing a degree or does anyone have any experience with this ACITP qualification and know if its industry recognised?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Tony

5. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

Generally, in web development, certifications aren't used or recognised, largely because the industry develops at such a rate that courses would hold you back. Especially at the stage you are now, where you would be better off focussing on developing a strong portfolio and getting some commercial experience beforee plotting the next step.

Visual Basic is a completely different ballpark - ! VB.Net is used for developing applications with web front ends, however.

I just had a look at the ACITP website, but didn't see actual details of the certification - hmm.

6. katonskies

katonskies Bit Poster

Yes I agree completely, im now going to focus on building a portfolio and expanding my knowledge with a few more books once I have completed the CIW course. Then, after gaining some experience in the industry I may try to tackle the VB.Net route. The ACITP website doesnt really tell you much does it, definately raises some questions....

7. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

Just replied to your other thread. Certifications really aren't the way to go with web development, as often the skillset required won't fit into an existing cert.

There are however some MS certs covering .Net - since the website got restructured I can't remember what the old ones were, MCSD/MCAD? There are definitely MCTS courses in .Net Web 2.0 to look forward to, though :biggrin

8. angelalynam

angelalynam New Member

Iv gopt the ACITP qulaification in web desing and to be honest i think its useless. email me at [email protected]