Ways you can get experience in IT?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Juelz, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Hi Im intrested in IT support and Im hoping to start a college course in september designed around desktop support.. realistically I know even with this course under my belt (comptia a+ also included in course) I will struggle to get a job in the field. . So im asking is how can I get experience without getting a job first?

2. B33 ENN

B33 ENN Nibble Poster

After finishing my college course and some home-study certs recently, I searched my local area for volunteer work situations where organisations needed an IT support technician or systems administrator. I shortlisted the best options for the experience I was looking for and made contact to interview. I have taken a position at a community centre library to maintain, restructure and modernise their IT infrastructure.

I hope to continue my certification studies and possibly a college course in the new term, while continuing the role part-time for a long enough period until I am ready to apply for paid positions.

Certifications: ECDL, ECDL Expert | Cisco ITE | CompTIA Strata, A+ | Microsoft MTA Operating System, MTA Server Administration | CCNA Exploration
    WIP: CompTIA Network+ | Microsoft MCSA Windows 7, Server 2012 | Cisco CCENT, CCNA
  3. BigG

BigG Nibble Poster

Ask your tutor if you can help around the college you are learning at.
    Volunteering for a charity near you etc

G

Certifications: BSc, Prince2 Practitioner, MCSA Win7, MCSA 2008
    WIP: Vmware, ITILv3 on the back burner
  4. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

Depending how big the college is, they may have connections to their halls of residence. For instance at Manchester Uni, they have halls of residence IT support. The deal is you put in a couple of hours a week on the help desk, and you get free broadband to your halls of residence room.

You come across a wide range of problems, and it's good experience.