w2k pro question??

Discussion in 'Software' started by moominboy, Oct 5, 2005.

1. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

hi all, forgot to say earlier that ive started helping out the i.t guy from my local learning centre. really basic admin stuff etc as the hardware is under contract but hey its a start!

anyway, all the systems run w2k pro and today i had to set up a new system to allow all the various log-in details, user name , password, group etc....

this was pretty boring as on top of that i had to change the wallpaper, screensaver and icon locations for about 20 seperate log-ins!

my question is , does anyone know of a way to kinda cascade all the changes from admin account down thru to the user group? to save me doing the same chore over and over....? :rolleyes:

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  2. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Are these computers in an Active Directory domain or in a workgroup?

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  3. moominboy

just a workgroup mate, but the one i worked on is a kinda ready made spare, just to replace another already in the network.

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

First of all, congratulations moominboy. Glad to hear you're getting some experience under your belt. Be glad things are boring and easy right now. Someday they'll be exciting and tense and you'll be expected to get the network up and running again in ten seconds...or else! :wink:

I would think that if they want all their PCs set up the same, they could just ghost an image of a machine that's set up just right and load it on all their computers.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. moominboy

hmmm... you know what? i think you might've just cracked it!

but just out of interest would there be a way to do it the way i thought?

i'll try to explain this way, you know when an admin user installs software, it's automatically available for everyone, right? unless specified.

and its unchangeable by normal users? thats what i was asking in regards to preferences like wallpaper,screensaver etc....

but thanks again trip on both counts! i'll mention that to him tomorrow. :biggrin

6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Freddy or Phoenix would be able to give you better answers but as I recall, the best way to do this would be on a domain using group policy. You could enforce everything such as desktop wallpaper, screensavers, and pretty much anything else *and* the users would have no ability to make changes.

7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Dumb suggestion alert !

Can't you create the policy in a custom MMC on the local machine, then copy it out to the others ? :oops:

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  8. moominboy

mmc?

i take it you mean, set-up one pc thats in the network and then copy it's settings across the board?

ok, any more terms, ideas etc cos im a going for a google.

cheers folks for the speedy response btw! :biggrin

9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

10. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Well I know that you can do this for certain functions, and I put into practice for the server exam, but whether or not you could actually transfer local policy from one PC to another is what I was thinking - would be ideal if you could.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  11. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I think you can, but it's been so long since I set up standalone machines in a workgroup rather than in an AD setting that I can't remember for sure. You should just be able to create a user profile, copy it, and then place that user profile on all machines in the folder where profiles are stored. Then choose that profile and change the permissions as to who can use it so that the user in question on that computer has the necessary permissions to use it.

I'm pretty sure this will work in a workgroup environment. I know it works in a domain enviroment. I just don't have a standalone Win 2K machine to try it on.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1