1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Volunteer Work

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Ellis, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Ellis

Ellis Bit Poster

Hi all,

Well ive been searching for work for a month or two now and been sending off a lot of C.V's and applying for about 100 jobs a month and not really getting any interviews, anyway I wont give up, in the mean time I have one interview but it's for an IT company to do volunteer work, now the advert said it would be for 3 months working on a "project" of some sort and "may" lead on to a real paid position, it also said they would give you a glowing reference.

Ive got the interview Thursday, should I be concerned in any way?. Of course I will ask questions at the interview, I just see this as a good thing as in a recession im still putting myself out there even for free but I have a concern this could be just being used and then wasting my time?. Can you see where im coming from?.
    Certifications: A+, 726 NVQ 2 Computers and Electronics.
    WIP: N+ Then Onto MCDST
  2. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Some alarm bells are ringing here but I'd probably still go to the interview. If nothing else you'll get a little more experience with interviews.
    However I wouldn't be keen on working for nothing for anything other than a registered charity, I wouldn't be up for working more than a day or two a week (I don't need to tell you that job hunting takes a lot of time and that still has to be your primary focus) and the experience I was gaining would have to be relevant to the job I'm looking for.
    Good luck.
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
    Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  3. Ellis

Ellis Bit Poster

Thanks, point taken, of course I would let them know searching for a job is my main priority, i'll see what happens Thursday anyway:biggrin.
  4. miflandia

miflandia Byte Poster

I will try this one, i found 1 place in my area. I think i going to apply for that, but i would not do more than 1 day a week.
    Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  5. Ellis

Ellis Bit Poster

Hey guy's,

Well interview went fine but I dont think I can do it, im signing on at the moment as volunteering needs to be with a non-profit organization, this isnt, also a work trial would be no good either as this is only a month and the chap said he would need 3 months before deciding on if he was going to take me on. :(

I will double check with the job centre but I dont think I can do it, shame, but I cant live on nothing can I?.
  6. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

7. IT2009

IT2009 Byte Poster

I tried this site and got stuck on this bit:

"Your skills and experience
    Years of IT experience (required)"
    Certifications: MCP, HND Business Information Systems
    WIP: A+