Vmware Workstation

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by wizard, Sep 19, 2007.

1. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I'm contemplating buying this when I've a built another PC, how much memory would I need to run a decent number of virtual machines on it?

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Tons. I usually only run one VM on my lab machine at a time. It's running 1.25 GB of RAM but one of the VMs I works with a lot if Windows Server 2003 with SharePoint Server 2007 on it and I've allocated 512 MB of RAM to it. Performance is ok but I'd hate having two VMs up and running at a time.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Amine

Amine Byte Poster

1 gig of RAM runs a couple of dc's and a couple of workstations just fine in my box.
    Vmware is the coolest piece of software I have come across in a long time, well worth the money IMHO.
    I have been reading a bit about virtualization and I truly believe that is the way things are going so much so that I will be actively looking at job openings focusing on this new technology Hopefully soon.

WIP: Exchange
  4. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

basically, to sum how much RAM you should have to run virtualisation software depends on two items.
    1 - how much your system could handle
    2 - can you afford to put that amount of RAM in?

The more RAM you have, the RAM you can allocate to your virtual machine, just like the same concept with physical machines, the more RAM you have, the better it would be...