VMWare Team

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by Fergal1982, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Hey guys, I'm creating a VMWare team consisting of a win2k8 R2 DC, and another win2k8 R2 Server (it's going to be hosting SQL Server and DNS).

Given that it's running Active Directory, but the rest of my network wont be, I'd like to isolate it from the rest of the network. I think I can do this by using a network segment within the team, after which I can configure the DC to act as the DHCP and the DNS server for the segment.

The only issue, is that I still want the machines to have access to the internet. I have no idea how to configure this though, any suggestions?

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Your servers obviously the DC and member servers should be setup using a static IP address. Also as you have a DHCP server setup you can reserve your static IP addresses only for the designated servers and likewise the same for your DNS server.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. Fergal1982

That wasn't my question. I wanted to know how to go about connecting the LAN segment through to my physical network in order for the segment to be able to access the internet....

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  4. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Sorry my bad:), you want to use NAT then in this case.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  5. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Your DC would need to have two NIC's associated with it, one for the physical lan segment, the other for the private lan segment, dependning on whether this is being done at home or work will depend on whether all nics concerned would have static addresses because if this is being done at work then your physical bridge connection will usually use a dhcp allocated address.

You would then configure the private addresses to use the DC's private NIC as the gateway and configure forwarding on the internal DNS server to your external DNS providers.

This method is commonly referred to as multi-homing.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  6. Fergal1982

No bother. :biggrin:

You lost me at "You"... I've added another Adapter to the server, and it is pulling a DHCP address off my physical router now. I can successfully ping outside the network.

I assume that what I need to do now, is tell the DNS server on the VM Server to forward unidentified requests to the physical router. How do I go about doing this? Do I also need to add another network adapter to the second server for it to see the external network, or can I route it through the DC Server?