VMware course

Discussion in 'VMware Certifications' started by Makaveli, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

I am considering taking the VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage course as my employer will be paying for it. At the moment I am considering using QA as they are local to me and it means I have minimal costs for travel. After the course I will be looking to take the exam in order to become VCP-DCV certified. Any advice or experience when looking at classroom training would be appreciated. Also, how can I ensure the training I take is approved by VMware and satisfies their requirement for the course element of the certification?

2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

QA are a VATC (VMware Approved Training Centre) so you're fine there.

Have a look on my blog for a doc bundle I created for the VCP-DCV 5 exam (Study Guide will be coming soon but I am concentrating on the VCAP-DCA first).

www.everything-virtual.com

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

Thanks SimonD, am I correct in assuming that the VCA is not required before completing the VCP? I seem to remember when the VCA was first released it was free and not a prerequisite for the VCP, is that still the case?

4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

So the VCA is no longer free (it wasn't when it was first released, then it was discounted for a couple of months, then there were some vouchers to do it free for a while, now it's back to being a full priced exam although cheaper than the VCP exam).

As for exam requirements, currently the VCP5 DCV exam track doesn't have any other exam requirements, however the the vSphere 6 track will require a foundation exam as well as the track exam.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

I wasn't aware of the additional requirement for a foundation exam for vSphere 6. I assume if I took the vSphere 5.5 course then I would only need to take 1 exam to achieve VCP5 certification. Any idea if VMware have a date to retire VCP5?

6. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

In addition to study make sure you get smashed on ale if your religion allows it. Fair dues if it doesn't, but if it does, get smashed for the win is my professional opinion as a solution architect, bsc, vcp, mcp, mcse, cca,.... Ha ha sorry I'm slightly inebriated

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  7. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

So VMware announced last year that the VCP certification only lasts 2 years, so when you take the VCP exam you have to sit the exam by 2 years later to keep it current (that information is present on the VMware site).

Foundation Exam requirement is new for vSphere 6

8. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

I have looked into this a bit further and I am inclined to go for the VCP5-DCV course and then the exam, firstly because I have experience working with 5.1 and 5.5 and the fact that I would only having take and pay for 1 exam is a bonus. It looks like if I wanted to later upgrade to 6 then I would have to do the Foundation exam and then the Solution track exam. As SimonD says the VCP certification lasts for 2 years so I assume this 2 year period starts only after achieving both the course and exam pass? For example for the VCP5-DCV if I took the course first and then took the exam 3 months later my 2 year period before expiry would start from the date I pass the exam and not when I took the course?

9. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Correct, you are only VCP certified upon completion of both a qualifying course and the exam.

10. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

Thanks SimonD. I haven't got a Pearson Vue logon yet as I have always taken my IT exams through Prometric, can someone with a logon tell me how much the exam for VCP5 is in the UK?

11. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

So I just looked at booking the VCP-NV exam and that's £162, I would guess that the DCV is the same price.

12. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

Is VMware vSphere 6.0 still in beta?

13. scott28tt

scott28tt Byte Poster

The product, no.

The courses, no.

The exams for VCP6-DCV, their beta has closed and the final exams go live at the end of August (you can book them now).

Certifications: VCP2, VCP3, VCP4, VCP5, VCAP4-DCA, VCI, MCSE (NT-2003)
  14. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

Thanks. When I look at courses currently they say they are based on the beta material so I assume at the end of August both the course and exams will be based on the final release. Is the end of August date confirmed or is this an assumuption that they will be announced at VMware world?

15. scott28tt

scott28tt Byte Poster

Both exams that you'll need to pass are already open for registration, first appointments from August 30th.

The ICM course is no longer using beta materials.

Links to the course page and the exam pages here: https://mylearn.vmware.com/mgrReg/plan.cfm?plan=64178&ui=www_cert

16. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

ICM? I am looking to do my course with QA in the UK and the course description says it is based on the beta material, maybe they havent updated the website yet if its only recently gone live.

17. scott28tt

scott28tt Byte Poster

ICM is Install Configure Manage - the course you said you wanted to do - get used to acronyms in the wonderful world of VMware :-)

I would say QA need to update their website - the VMware course page did mention beta when the course was first released, but it doesn't now and I know that the material and labs are updated now. Contact QA to be sure that's what they'd use.