VMware and software packaging

Discussion in 'Software' started by UCHEEKYMONKEY, Jul 25, 2008.

1. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

I need to package software so it can be deployed via AD across MS windows network (MS server 2003)

I was looking for a software packager that creates a MSI package for software. (So it can be unpacked when deployed) Also I was going to use VMware to test the software had packaged correctly.

Having used Google i found one called AdminStudio by Macrovision

Q) what do you use to package software?

Q) Do you use VMware to set up a test environment for the software package?

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Have you tried WinInstallLE? It's an MSI package creator. it used to be free, but I'm not sure if it is any more.

3. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Thanks Simon:thumbleft I will google it!:biggrin

Do you use it? If so what do you use as a test environment? A PC with afresh install windows or Virtual PC/VMware?:blink

4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I've used it in the past, but at present I don't have any need to do so.

What I use for testing depends on where I am and what I'm doing. Since I don't work in a 'production environment' most of my testing whilst I'm at work is carried out on MS Virtual PC. At home I run VMWare Fusion, but don't really do much at home any more.

5. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Do you realise that a lot of files with a .exe do contain an msi when you unpack them? I know a lot of the things we deploy here are taken from exes and then create a transform file. Adobe and MS give you transform creators for you to use.

Essentially once you have the MSI and MST we create a GPO and add the relevent machines to the group et volia depolyed software.

Hope it helps

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  6. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

What's a GPO? is it something to do with policy groups??

Yes I know, I had suggested creating a virtual server and desktop environment so the package stay on the server with a s/c on the customer desktop but the software houses are dead against it! because of the updates required for the package. they recommend the software to be installed locally:dry

Although I don' believe that's the real reason behind it!

Also some softwae house don't offer a MSI package, they expect you to slipstream the software!! :rolleyes:

7. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

:hhhmmm i know you can convert the files but what if you want to create a short to that deployed package on the users desktop?? If you use adobeand MS would that create the short cuts?:blink

8. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hiya Dave,

There is no reason why you couldn't create a shortcut on a users desktop which could start the installation off, but in a production environment, software is usually deployed by linking to a gpo the computer has been placed in.

You can read more about assigning and publishing software here.

Hope this helps.

Simon

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  9. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

GPO, EDM's Radia, or i think MS SMS can be configured to do this aswell.

Boycey has a point, write a script to execute the install at log on to run once

GPO is basically settings and configurations set by the administrators, who ever is in charge of it.
    Windows has like a template, which contains all of the settings for windows, from wallpaper, to control panel, to registry and this can be changed by them to suit their need and the needs of the end user and support teams.

edit > link

10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I image the PC (with acronis) and then use that in a test environment. Sometimes rolling out software is straight forward but in other cases software that is already installed may cause problems.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Thanks Simon:thumbleft Just reading the link now... :hhhmmm does the user have to setup as a power user?:blink

12. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Do you find the problems occured because of different versions of MS windows updates such as service packs that may contain certain shared dll files that are required to run the software you are deploying?:blink

Or are you refferring to conflicts with other software on the PC?:blink

13. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Ah right! I know about Group Policy's I have set theses up when deploying software to users who must be a power user to enable updates to be installed on their local PC!

But what I didn't know (Until I read you link Mr C) was that GPO stood for Group Policy:oops: