1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VM first time user - questions

Discussion in 'Virtual Computing' started by Jakamoko, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Just installed VMWare and playing with it to get a feel. Two questions first of all....

*Does it default to run within a window, or can I have a virtual machine running full screen ?

*When I'm "in" the virtual machine, is there an easy way to switch back to use the host, as my k/b and mouse seem locked within the vivrtual machine, and short of hitting <ctrl><alt><del> I don't seem to be able to grab them back, to continue other tasks on the host. EDIT: Just found the "<ctrl><alt> to release cursor" option...sorry.

EDIT2: OK, found both answers now...

Sorry if these questions are overly simple for this Board, but I figure if I'm asking them, then I may not be the only one ....
    Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

nothing is too simplified, were happy to help all manner of queries! :)

just to put this in perspective for our other new VM users

VMWare uses a 'hook' key combination to hand control back over to the host machine, the default is Ctrl+Alt
    if you ever plan on using Linux you may wish to change this to something like Ctrl+Alt+Shift as Ctrl+Alt is used by Linux

likewise it uses Ctrl+Alt+Insert as a Ctrl+Alt+Del replacement (to stop your machine trying to lock), be warned if you change your hook keys this also changes (for instance Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Insert)

Full screen can be attained by clicking the Full Screen Icon above the VM window, you can return to windowed mode by clicking your hook keys :)

(to change hook keys goto.. Edit -> Preferences -> Hot Keys)
    Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0