vlan encapsulation on a sub interface

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by durairaj29, Sep 20, 2007.

1. durairaj29

durairaj29 New Member

configuring encapsulation on a sub interface
    « on: May 31, 2007, 04:33:05 AM »

hi all ,the problem i am having is ,when i go to configure a vlan and begin to set up the sub-interfaces on a router (2503) for inter vlan routing
    i get this error
    router (config-if)# int e/0.1
    router (config sub-if) encapsulation (as the up arrow indicates word is unrecognised
    ^
    i am obviously trying to type in................ router(config sub-if)# encapsulation dot1q 10

i have tried router (config-if)# int e/0.1
    router (config sub-if)#ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0
    router (config sub-if) encapsulation
    and ^

router (config-if)# int e/0.1
    router (config sub-if) encapsulation dot1q
    ^

but either way it spits the dummy and wont let me enter the encapsulation cmd
    as i said before i am running a 2503 router with cisco ios ver 12

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

2. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

durairaj29,

At the Priviledged EXEC Mode prompt, type "show version" and tell us what "System Image File" you're using?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  3. durairaj29

durairaj29 New Member

hi ,
    Thanks for your reply, as per your information i configured the vlan go through the attachment i have sended the print shot of vlan configuration, iam getting the error message whenever iam using "sh interfaces trunk" i gone mad, from the last one week iam getting the same problem, i dont have any clue, pls guide me through this
    NOTE: iam using 2950 switch
    & 2600 router
    pls give me a easy example of diffrence between switchport mode access & switchport mode truk & whenever we have to this command.

Thankx
    as per your information i configured the vlan but

pls if u could have got time than pls give me one example how to configure VLAN for a 1900 switch and 2950. & put an interface in a specific VLAN and access mode & to set an interface in trunking mode and enabling the correct trunking encapsulation.

Attached Files:

4. geezer

geezer New Member

Did you get this sorted or still happening as I am not sure if trunking on 2503 is possible but I am using IOS 11.3.

From a fast ethernet port you would type 'trunk on' for the 1900 (only supports isl) to set this port as a trunk port to connect to trunk port on switch on isl encapsulated router eth port.

For a 2950 you would type 'switchport mode trunk' to set the fast eth port as a trunk port but the 2950 only uses 802.1q encapsulation (dot1q) strangely enough so can't use with a 1900 switch to trunk between due to mismatched trunk encapsulations.

The 'switchport access' command is used to assign a vlan to a port or removed a port from being a trunked port.

To set a port to a VLAN on a 1900 you enter the port and type 'vlan-membership static #' where # = vlan number
    To set a port to a VLAN on a 2950 you enter the port and type 'switchport access vlan #'

Hope this helps.

Certifications: CCNA