Vista problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by Raffaz, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

One of my friends is having problems with vista and his wireless adapter card. Everytime he boots into vista he has to give permission for WG111V2.exe to run. This is a program associated with his usb wireless adapter. Its obviously something to do with UAC, so is there a way to stop this prompt without having to disable UAC? Cheers.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I take it if you disable UAC and reboot then you dont get this problem?

Can you right click on the exe and select run as administrator, might help. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

This may help: to run a program as administrator once right click on the shortcut and select "run as administrator". To mark a program to always run as administrator right click on the shortcut, properties, shortcut tab, advanced, tick - "Run As Administrator" or right click on the program itself, properties, compatibility tab, "run this program as an administrator"

I lost the page I got this from, so I can't post the link.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I agree with what the guys said here. I had the same issue with some usb drive and I needed to make sure that its always being run as an administrator.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  5. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Tried all the above but no luck. Turning off UAC does stop it tho.:)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  6. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

UAC is a tool of the devil. It's put there to prevent the average schmuck who can't use a PC for a week without it being infested with spyware, malware, trojans and God knows what else from moaning at Microsoft for all the evil it creates.

Provided your mate is not a moron, turn UAC off - all it will do is piss him off in the long run anyway.

I know that probably goes against every piece of advice a security admin should give, but I have NEVER had any spyware on my machine, or a virus, or a trojan - or anything else unwanted. Provided you don't spend all day looking at pr0n, download something like 'Micr0$0ft office 2k7 - Crackzed by hax0rz' from Krapzaa, or click 'no' or the 'X' on pop-ups instead of killing them from the taskbar, and provided you are patched and running behind a hardware firewall - the hype about Internet security is ridiculously overblown.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em