Vista Problem

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by zimbo, Jun 12, 2006.

1. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

i just installed vista on vmware.. and im struggling to install the vmware tools... anyone else have a problem? without it my graphics is like 256 colours on Win 98! :(

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  2. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Installed fine for me Zimbo...

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

err stupid question but how do you install them? When the guest is up and running you click VM on the menu bar and Install VM Tools? :blink

4. Baba O'Riley

That's about it for Windows. It gets a bit more complicated for Linux though.

5. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

any clue on what i could try?

6. Baba O'Riley

Off the top of my head...

First, if you've suspended the VM, make sure it's 100% restored (according to the status bar at the bottom of the VMWare window).

If you aren't already, choose a typical installation of VMTools rather than a complete one.

Depending on the specs of the host machine, it could just be you need to be a little bit patient, Vista is a bit of a resource hog.

I'm having a fiddle with my Vista VM now so I'll let you know if anything comes up.

7. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

thanks baba!

8. Baba O'Riley

OK, one other thing to try. Vista treats VMTools in the same way as Linux in that VMWare creates a virtual CD Drive that the install program runs from so it could be an issue with Vista's autoplay settings. It would be worth having a look to see it's set to autorun a CD with an .exe file on it.

[EDIT]It actually creates a virtual CD drive for all OS's, it's just less noticeable with XP as the whole process tends to go off without a hitch.

9. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Sorry Zimbo, I didn't have any problems installing the tools, just the OS itself.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  10. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

check the vmwaretools iso is mounting correctly by browsing to the CD drive of the vista machine (it can take a few mins be patient) then try and run them manually if it is, it seems it could just be an autoplay issue if it gets that far

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0