Vista: on a domain!

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Sparky, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Has anyone rolled out Vista on their network yet? I’m not talking about using it at home where we can drool over the cool interface and the media centre components but on a domain with users actually using Vista, or trying to!

I have installed the grand total of three Vista based machines, three laptops. I didn’t want to but the client wanted the latest toys despite me begging and trying to sell service pack 3 for XP as the next ‘big thing’. That didn’t work by the way!

I have rolled one of the laptops back to XP and the other two are now collecting dust, looks like waiting for SP1 and the rest of the world to catch up with Vista is the way to go.
    My thoughts? I liked using Vista on my PC and laptop at home. Plenty of eye candy and neat tricks but in a corporate environment I’m not so sure (so far!).

For a start what is this UAC all about? Despite being logged on as domain admin I still get hassled to press ok every 5 minutes. Also when I switch it off I can’t install any printers, wtf? I am having major problems with VPN client software. Sonicwall and Cisco refuse to work however after getting the beta Cisco client to work I needed to run the hosts file as ‘administrator’ to make a change. I like the increased security but I’m logged on as domain admin, leave me alone! Even when I got the VPN going the 3G card in the laptop refused to work.

Why can’t I repair a LAN connection anymore? When I right click on the LAN connection I don’t get the option of ‘repair’. Also when I type ipconfig /release at the command line it doesn’t work. Looks like I need admin rights or something like that.

User profiles: why are they more complicated now? I think all network admins hate dealing with user profiles, either the size of them or how to back them up when your laptop users don’t connect to the domain for a few weeks. Also when a user tries to shut down the laptop it seems to go into a deep sleep. The only way to switch it back on is to switch it off (what the user was trying to in the first place) and then power it on. Then they are greeted with the new Vista logon prompt, what is that all about? Not sure if I am logging onto the domain or the local machine but whatever.

I could go on but so far it has not been fun. Admittedly I was forced to start using Vista at work but at least I can confidently say ‘wait for SP1’. I’m sure things will pick up as software patches and Vista drivers are released so only then will I start pushing Vista when an order comes in for new PCs.

Anyone else got any Vista stories to share?

P.S I actually like using Vista! 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

UAC is designed to keep you aware of something (including YOU) that is attempting to make a system change. Get used to it - it's the nature of the job we do when we make system changes on a daily basis; users won't be pestered all the time. That's the whole point... standard users will be able to do the things that they SHOULD be able to do (including printer installs, something that previously required admin credentials), while alerting them when they're trying to do something they SHOULDN'T. One really nice thing is being able to do something with admin credentials while the local user is logged in. Used to be, you'd have to log the local user off, log on as admin, make the change, log off as admin, and log the local user on... pain in the butt.

No idea why you can't install printers if you shut off UAC. Personally, I'd keep UAC on for the reasons above... just click OK, it's really not that big a deal. UAC will alert you unless you're logged on with the local Administrator account (which is disabled by default)... even if you're part of the Administrator's group. Only Administrator is immune, from what I understand.

You can configure the laptop so that it shuts down completely rather than go into sleep mode.

You *can* repair a link. When you right-click on a LAN connection, there's a Diagnose and repair option, which will release/renew and all that good stuff. To do ipconfig from the command line, you need to run a command prompt as an admin.

No idea what's up with the VPN software. Not sure it's any consolation, but MANY programs out there aren't Vista-compatible, which is why most companies are delaying implementation of Vista... not because of the bugs, or waiting on SP1, but on the basis of application compatibility.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I played around with Longhorn (or whats now been called Windows Server 2008 ) and connected my Vista machine to the domain I created...worked a treat...I think I have a thread created somewhere...I will dig it up and you can see my progress at the time...I havent been on it much lately...but hope to very soon.

And yes Vista is very good to use....despite what others say :biggrin

here is the thread:

http://www.certforums.com/forums/thread16749.html

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  4. Sparky

I agree, I do rate Vista but I need to start looking at it as a tech and not a user! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  5. Gaz 45

Gaz 45 Kilobyte Poster

Didn't 2000 & XP allow you to do that with Run As...?
    Seemed pretty simple to me :)

UAC (and the cost!) is the main reason why I haven't upgraded yet!

Gonna get my first play on Vista this weekend when my Dad brings his swanky new laptop down!

Certifications: MCP (70-229, 70-228), MBioch
    WIP: MCDBA (70-290)
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Runas still exists.

UAC can be disabled.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I found out the other nite that you can infact disable UAC within the msconfig console under tools, amongst a whole host of other things (including CMD, regedit, Task Manager, computer management to name but a few) that not even XP listed (but then XP never had a tools section under msconfig did it?). Saves having to go thru control panel and trawling around there.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  8. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

In my experiance UAC is only really annoying to techs for the first week or two of a new build
    even our systems tend to stabalise after that and installs are few and far between, as is a lot of the stuff that actually needs admin rights

not sure why you had printer problems mate, mine install fine with and without UAC

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  9. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Did you manage to resolve this?

Do share...

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  10. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

We run Vista here on some 15 computers. They are all on a domain (2003). We had some minor problems so far. So far I'm fairly happy with Vista.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  11. Sparky

Rolled the laptop back to XP as there was no Vista driver for the 3G card :blink