Vista 32bit or 64bit?

Discussion in 'Software' started by MrNice, Jan 21, 2007.

1. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

Hey dudes,

I am looking for some advice regarding the 32 and 64 bit versions of windows vista. I am planning on ordering 2 vista home premium and 2 vista ultimate very soon.

I believe the 64bit version is superior but is it the same old story that it's very difficult to get any other programs in 64bit ie AV, firewalls, media players etc?

All the PC's due for upgrade have 64bit capable dual core CPU's but I dont see much point if everthing else is still 32bit. Do you think the software market is catching up yet or in near future? I dont want to upgrade to vista 32bit ultimate and in a years time be wanting the 64bit version!

2. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Take note that the 64 bit version won't allow you install any unsigned device drivers either so make sure all the drivers you'll want to use are signed.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

as far as im aware, and dont quote me on this
    the vista license covers you for 32 or 64bit installations
    so you could change

that said, if you play games, dont bother with 64 bit, if u use random dodge apps, dont bother, not a lot of support for anything but the bad boy apps out there

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

For now stick with 32 bit.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yep - there's currently a lot more support for 32-bit apps and drivers and such. Over time, I'm sure 64-bit support will improve. I'm running 32-bit right now.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. madman045

madman045 Kilobyte Poster

I personally will be 32 bit until i see the need for more than 4gb ram plus application/driver support.

Phoenix, i believe you are correct if you buy the retail boxed version as it contains both, but OEM its one or the other and if you have the Action Pack, im told its just 32bit Business edition.

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, PRINCE2 Foundation, VCA-DCV & VCA-DT
    WIP: MCSA 2008, VCP5-DCV, ITIL V3
  7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

I run 64bit with 4GB of memory on my workstation for vmware server usage
    my gaming rig is still XP

bear in mind windows has a hard time addressing memory correctly over 1GB not 4GB, hence the /3G flag hacks for the boot.ini file

and it probably wont detect more than 3.6gb, so even with 4gb its a problem

8. mojorisin

mojorisin Kilobyte Poster

I have 2gb in my XP pc at home do i need to do anything to get it to see the memory properly ? never heard of this before :blink

WIP: Microsoft 365 Identity and Services MD-100
  9. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

This is more a problem with certain motherboards. 2GB is fine on most boards. More than this can be a problem in a few cases.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  10. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

AFAIK the /3GB switch is to change the division between User and kernel memory. Using this gives more memory to user space.

Info here...

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  11. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

thats right harry
    hence the problem with more than 1gb of memory, especially for consumer systems

dont worry if you have 2gb, windows can use it and address it, however as harry points out the division at which the memory is assigned to apps vs os lower functions can benefit from tweaking
    most the programs you run are considered 'userland' processes

12. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

like everyone else has said...go 32bit for now...once 64bit apps become available and everything has been confirmed ok then we can go for 64bit Vista...also good point from Phoenix, MS have been very sneaky with Vista...its like all the versions of OS is on the disc and the only way you get the version you bought is by entering the right license key. Weird, but sneaky! :dry But yeah I have seen on ebuyer they are selling the 32bit OEM version of Ultimate for £125!!! Cheapest found so far :biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  13. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Wheres that mate?

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  14. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

Hey dudes,

Thanks for all the info, going with the 32bit ultimate.

Both www.ebuyer.co.uk and www.dabs.com have it for £125 OEM version.

Thanks to all who took the time to reply. :biggrin

15. BosonMichael

Good luck with that...

Reseller Ratings for:
    Dabs.com: 3.79 out of 10 rating
    EBuyer UK: 2.06 out of 10 rating

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  16. madman045

madman045 Kilobyte Poster

Aria have Vista Ultimate OEM for £119.85 :D

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, PRINCE2 Foundation, VCA-DCV & VCA-DT
    WIP: MCSA 2008, VCP5-DCV, ITIL V3
  17. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  18. C_Eagle

C_Eagle Byte Poster

I think BBM hit the nail on the head for this thread:-

BrainBeacon Michael Yep - there's currently a lot more support for 32-bit apps and drivers and such. Over time, I'm sure 64-bit support will improve. I'm running 32-bit right now.

I've been searching for 64bit drivers for my devices and it's like pulling teeth! 32bit is the best bet now. The market will drive the developers to code 64 bit drivers which apparently are harder to create.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, 70-270
    WIP: MCSA 70-290
  19. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

So.... if i buy a new processor, with 64-bit capability, and use 32 bit vista, what kind of issues, performance issues, etc, will i see?

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  20. BosonMichael

Your... software will work (if it's Vista-compatible)? Not sure what you're asking... what issues are you expecting? 32-bit apps work fine with 64-bit-capable processors.