VirtualCenter reinstall FTL...

Discussion in 'Virtual Computing' started by zebulebu, Jul 28, 2009.

1. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I. Hate. Western. Digital.

Been sick as a dog all day and just come downstairs in the last 20 minutes... to find my poxy VC Server has **** the bed - HD is screwed. Less than ten months old as well. Western Bastard Digital - that's the last you'll see of me - after having no problems with them for years, I've now had three fail on me in the past eight months.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  2. Adam Banner

Adam Banner Poster Galore

3. wagnerk
    Highly Decorated Member Award

wagnerk aka kitkatninja Moderator

I understand how you feel, I will never buy another fujitsu HDD. A few years back we had a whole batch of them die on us, one after another...

-Ken

Certifications: CITP, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, PTLLS, MCT, MCITP, MCTS, MCSE, MCSA:M, MCSA, MCDST, MCP, MTA, MCAS, MOS (Master), A+, N+, S+, ACA, VCA, etc... & 2nd Degree Black Belt
    WIP: MCE and PM Cert
  4. jk2447

jk2447 Petabyte Poster Moderator

Does anyone know how reliable the solid state drives are? Surely VERY reliable. . .?

Certifications: BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, VCP4, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VCP5
    WIP: 70-246
  5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Yay! Recovery console to the rescue!

(after replacing five files that is...)

Even better, I have my original receipt for the disk too, so I'll by RMAing that to Western Soditall tomorrow.

Now... time to migrate everything onto another disk methinks...

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  6. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

Installing VCenter takes an absolute age. I'm running the 60 days evaluation so I've installed two VCenter servers a couple of days apart. In theory I can take the primary back to the base build snapshot and reinstall whilst the secondary server looks after things. A few days later do the same with the secondary and in 60 days the whole process starts again.

Same situation with my ESX installs.