Virtual pc wont run

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Notebook, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Notebook

Notebook Bit Poster

Hi
    just had a mcdst course courtesy of the government. Got home and tried to run virtual pc on my newish win 7 sony laptop. Wouldnt run - saying architecture incorrect. Downloaded a tool that checks its compatability and it says it isnt!!!
    Anyone help?
    Could this be a bios switch? havent looked yet as off out and cant remember how to access the bios - tried delete on boot and no good.

Any help appreciated

2. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

first guess would be the CPU, perhaps a BIOS switch will enable the virtualisation feature. Could be that the CPU just doesn't support it. Google your model number to find out.

Usually del or F2, sometimes ESC brings up a menu with one of the options being enter BIOS setup.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

You need to have a look on the Intel or AMD website to make sure that your cpu supports Virtualization Technology (VT) or AMD Virtualization (AMD-V) which are the two different technologies required for virtualisation.

It may simply be a case of enabling it in the BIOS, however if your CPU doesn't support it you may be out of luck.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  4. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

I recently purchased a new HP laptop running windows 7 and I had to make a change in the bios before I could run virtual pc. Hopefully that will be the case for you.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA
  5. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Try F2 to get into the BIOS.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

some have VT switched off in the BIOS so you need it on.

some systems that are overclocked wont work if VT is on some systems do, so if you are overclocked try resetting back to default.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Mate try Virtual Box, by Sun, much faster than Virtual PC and supports USB.

It's really simple to use.

http://www.virtualbox.org/

It's the future, well apart from VMware.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  8. Notebook

Notebook Bit Poster

Intel t660 doesnt support it - bugger

Thanks for the reply - can you give me a bit of info on the 2 you suggest
    Thanks

9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Which version of Virtual PC are you running mate?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. Notebook

Notebook Bit Poster

not sure what version, but definately the latest - anyone shed some light on the suggested alternatives?

11. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

The problem here I think is that Sony has disabled all the virtualisation features of cpus in all but 1 of their models. This was a while ago so I don't know if they have changed their policy.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  12. Notebook

Notebook Bit Poster

virtual box crashed and locked up my system
    downloaded vmware workstation?
    created a virtual machine, and this requested a serial?
    Therefore, if I want to setup 2 xp machines and 1 server 2003 running, I take it I have to have a licence for these?
    How much would this cost?

is that the same for the microsoft one?

I have an old xp machine with 1 gig ram - used for downloding - might be cheaper to upgrade that?

Info please

Thanks

13. BrizoH

BrizoH Byte Poster

Is it 64 bit Windows 7 - if so you need to install the x64 version of Virtual PC 2007

This was the case with my home Sony Vaio which doesn't have VT - you might get a warning during the VPC 2007 install but it does work, I use it from home to connect to work (as Cisco still haven't released a 64 bit VPN client :x)

Certifications: CCNA, CCNA Security
  14. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Check out the pinned thread regarding what you need for the MCDST. In there you'll find the link to technet subscriptions. Worth every cent.:biggrin

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  15. Notebook

Notebook Bit Poster

Well you were correct - it warned me, but still worked - thanks.
    just need some advice on making a virtual machine
    chose xp
    512 ram (my system has 4gig)

when starting it loads a few lines that disappear - as I remembered from the class
    then says mac address
    then
    dhcp and a line rotates like an asterisk - waiting for a dhcp server

how do I get around this?

Also I seem to remember using - cd capture iso -on the menu whilst in the class. Would this help?

I have the book from the course in my gf's car, official microsoft course guide book, and I think you could load an iso off the disk that caame with it - is this correct? Will get the book back on saturday.

Thanks for the help

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  16. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Hence why I asked what version of virtual PC you were running.

Glad things are going in the right direction now... 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  17. Notebook

Notebook Bit Poster

Cheers

Any help on the dhcp?

18. BrizoH

BrizoH Byte Poster

There's no OS installed, that's why you're getting the DHCP message - if you have an XP CD just load it and from VPC select Use Physical Drive, your virtual machine will boot from CD (or if it's an ISO file, select Mount ISO)

19. Notebook

Notebook Bit Poster

I have an xp disk somewhere - will try to load or check the cd from the course - will pick up the disk later.
    does the same go for the server - will I need a server disk?

Thanks

20. BrizoH

BrizoH Byte Poster

Yep, same for the server - you'd need a copy of the OS, although you can download trial versions from Microsoft on Virtual Hard Drives ready to run in Virtual PC