Very odd email issue

Discussion in 'Networks' started by ffreeloader, Oct 31, 2007.

1. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Ooooh - NOW you're pushing Freddie's buttons :biggrin

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  2. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Ummm.... Harry, I realize the settings are important. But pretty much all email clients have all the same settings for configuring an email client. Yes, some are more insecure than others, but you configure the same options in all of them to set up an email account.

You don't get very far with a client that skips things such as smtp server, account name, pop3 or imap server, etc....

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  3. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Freddie

You've definitely checked back through the mail headers and there's no hop along the way that might be in an RBL?

I had a similar issue a while back - an external domain changed theier internal routing to go via a box in a DMZ - trouble was, the numpty who designed the DMZ was using an IANA assigned address range (not private, but not strictly publically routable) which our RBL (quite rightly) threw a paddy over. It wasn't too easy to spot either - only grepping through the raw logs on the antispam box showed the answer.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  4. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Harry,

How many email clients have you configured in your life time?

Do you use a different account and smtp server for every email address you send to? If you do, you're one amazing guy. I wouldn't have thought I'd ever say that about you, at least not quite in that way.

As to your second paragraph, well, that's quite a news flash. I'd have never come to that conclusion by myself. Thanks, Harry. You've been a big help. Now at least I understand that it's up to me to figure out why all the oddities exist. Once again. I'd have never come to that conclusion on my own.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Very odd. I thought I had posted an answer, but I can't find it. So if this turns up twice you'll know why!
    A lot. And quite a few servers as well.
    No - but I haven't suggested this!
    The problem here is that, for reasons that are obvious (privacy etc), you haven't given much detail for us to look at.

You mentioned your boss, who I assumed worked for the same company as you :biggrin , and his sending of emails. These appeared to leave the company to the ISP, then get returned. This was why I was surprised. Now I realize this morning that it is possible that he was sending them from his home, but I don't think you mentioned this!

I'm sure you have examined the email headers and envelope, but without disclosure of these it isn't clear to me how we can guess better than you as to what is happening, as you have more data to go on than us!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Is it possible to trust the IP address of the ISPs mail server so your mail server doesnt reject anything from that source?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs