VCD Players for the PC

Discussion in 'Software' started by noelg24, Jul 9, 2004.

1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Since I dont have a DVD writer (well to be honest I'm waiting to see if they hit the 16x DVD writers:biggrin ) I have copied some DVDs onto VCD...only buggering problem for muggins here is that I cant find a way to play them on my PC...now unless I'm being thick(as is the case most of the time:blink ) I have tried playing them on Win Media Player but so far not a snippet...I havent tried Real Player and Quicktime. but do you guys know of any VCD software I can get so I can play them on my PC rather than on our DVD player thats sitting in the lounge and my PC is in another room...(for those of you who have a missus of some sort I am sure you will sympathise with me in this matter)

Your help will be welcomed and appreciated as always gang...:biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Apparently WinDVD works well, although any s/w DVD player should work (so my work colleague informs me ....)

HTH :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Well if it dont help...you will be hearing from my lawyer...hahaha and it wont be you I will sue Jak...it'll be your colleague...hehehehe!!! Thanks anyway I will see if I can get hold of it....

4. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I use PowerDVD for playing all my media and love the app, not had any trouble with it so far.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  5. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

well is there a configuration I need to tamper with on PowerDVD in order to make sure it plays VCD? If so what and where is it?

6. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Not that I know of, I just drop in the disk then select the source drive and off it goes. What version are you using? Just thinking.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I use power DVD for DVDs, and Zoom Player for all other media as it has no codec errors or anything, I also am starting to use the media player built into Winamp as it plays all my DivX and XviDs a treat
    not sure why your using the VCD format over SVCD or KVCD, both of wich offer far greater quality

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  8. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

oh and 16x recorders will be out sometime soon
    got my eye on a nice 149 buck one thats out in august, dual layer dual format 16X

9. r4merlin

r4merlin Nibble Poster

PowerDVD or CoolDVD should work fine are you having problems?

10. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

well now Im confused!! I am using PowerDVD version 5 or 6...cant remember but it came with my graphics card back in Jan of this year so its the latest one as far as I can tell...havent even seen if theres any updates of it yet....but thanks for your help guys I will try a lot of things...but it'll have to wait till Sunday or monday as Im in Newcastle this weekend to visit Lou's mates and most important of all my little boy Nathan. So I'll see u all soon.

11. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Oh Phoenix the reason I dont use SVCD or any other types is cos it takes up so many CDs!!! Imagine trying to copy any of the Lord of the Rings movie on SVCD??? Im gonna have to buy another pack of ten CD-Rs just t copy one movie...and I dont think I am exaggerating either....

12. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

well firstly if you do that kinda copying, your better off getting a 100 CD spindle for like 20 quid
    i tend to use HDD space to store all my movies anyway, Xvid and Divx dont work on usual home players,and the qualitys far superior to VCD but only 700mb file size
    shame not more players support these codecs!!

13. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I have now been able to get Windows Media Player to play VCDs...now here's another one for you guys...I am using Win Media Player 8 but I know Win Media 10 is on the horizon...a few months ago I upgraded to Win Media 9 but it corrupted most of my system and even caused a few of my downloaded songs to disappear. the question is guys I am thinking of upgrading to either 9 or 10 but if I do I want know if any of you have upgraded and if you have experienced any major problems and what you did to rectify it as I would like to upgrade. your help and advice will be most appreciated.

14. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Hey noelg

At the last place I worked, I upgraded media player on the machine (Win2K Pro) that I was using to version 9. I found it really screwed things up . I found I couldn't access some of my song's, I couldn't copy the music onto the HD from the CD, and some more problems, I just can't remember what they were now.

I got really fed up with it, and ended up using real player for a while on that machine, as I didn't have time to sit and think about media player at the time. I never really got round to looking at the problem, so as far as a work around, I can't give any advice.

I'm running Version 8 at home now, and I've never had any probs, so I'll stick with for a little while, and think about ten when it's released.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada