V5 foundation exam revision

Discussion in 'CIW Certifications' started by bennyboy, Apr 24, 2007.

1. bennyboy

bennyboy New Member

Hello all.

The foundation part of the course is large to say the least.
    Has anbody sat the exam and/or has any advice regarding which areas to revise?

Thanks in advance.:)

2. nellyp123

nellyp123 Byte Poster

Yes m8, i sat the exam just back in march. And you are right there's alot to learn, and the only advice i can give is to learn the protocols. I know the exam is probally different for each person, but i had alot of questions regarding Networking!!

Bloody through me abit.....but managed to scrape through.

Who are you training with?. I used a self study kit from prosoft, and what i had was three modules the thickness of a house brick. It took me about a month to get through each one and the last one was network technology foundations and i rushed that as i had booked me exam a bit premature.

Know your protocols, browsers and basic html/xhtml. The rest will come naturally as you learn. ( if that makes sense?)

good luck! and speak again soon.

Certifications: CIW Professional
  3. bennyboy

bennyboy New Member

Thanks Nelly ,

Im training with skills train , there is a lot of material to cover as well as a further 4 exams to do after this one!
    Thanks for your advice i will pay extra attention to the areas you have mentioned.:thumbleft

4. SilverWolf

SilverWolf Bit Poster

nellyp123, I have been reading alot of you posts today and I would like to say that you make alot of sense and I am getting alot of positive attitude from your posts. I'm taking it slow through foundations study as to not cram or rush it before I take the exam. I'm with ICS so i have all 3 modules on disks and not even looked at Site design or E-commerce yet. I am finding Internet Business a bit of a grind but i am enjoying this alot. Keep up the positive posts mate :biggrin

WIP: CIW1D0-510, CIW1D0-520, CIW1D0-525
  5. CGooders

CGooders Bit Poster

Alright Peeps,

I thought I would pop my head round to see what was going on and I see some people wanting to take some CIW exams that I have in the past.

Just some tips, Silverwolf sounds like you are using the same disks that I was supplied with, they are good and I found my foundation one the most useful as I passed my foundation exam first time with 77%, tip is to go through is once then go through it again and when you feel your ready go for it. The thing with CIW exams they are all multiple choice and with four options with each question, if you know your stuff you can easily discard 2 options straight away because they are stupid suggestions and I mean stupid and then your left with two but most of the time you know the answer straight away if you have learned and digested the material in the right way.

I bought the uCertufy prep engine for Site Designer v5 and thought it was ok but not better then what I found later on down the track. I found a site www.preplogic.com and you can buy MegaGuides for all exams on the Master CIW Designer cert and they are very useful. Good thing about these books are that they point out really good key points to learn, I aint saying they will make you pass the exam on their own just saying they will help and plus they are quite cheap. Thing is they are around $34 (£17) but they like to put them on sale a lot and for my E-Commerce MegaGuide which was the best out of the two I purchased I got it for £3 and it was an absolute bargain!!! I just checked the site and they have a SUMMER SALE on, these guides are going for £8 not the best sale they have had but still a good price for a good learning resource.

Ill stop talking now, good luck with your cert's

All the best

Certifications: Master CIW Designer
    WIP: Microsoft 70-305 & 70-306.
  6. Fatwaz

Fatwaz Bit Poster

i have a nice pdf study guide for foundations v5 that basically covers all the main points of all 3 modules.not bad for free if anyones interested i can mail it

WIP: CIW Foundations
  7. JuryDuty

JuryDuty Bit Poster

CGooders--thx for the heads-up on the PrepLogic megabooks. They look good, though they don't seem to be a part of the Summer Sale...I'm not seeing sale prices on those. Am I missing something?

I do wonder how these compare to the self-study kits from Prosoft/ComputerPrep (which come with question CDs)? Anyone know?

And why in the world don't people ebay these things after using them? Sure would be nice to get some v5 stuff on ebay for a deal. That's where mine will be going when I'm through lol.

WIP: CIW Site Designer
  8. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

Not sure, but think it may be a copyright thing. Boson will more than likely know the answer to this.

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)
  9. JuryDuty

JuryDuty Bit Poster

I think nellyp123 could answer it, too. If you guys want to compare your computerprep manuals to the preplogic megabooks, here's a link to a a sample of the preplogic megabook for the foundations course:

http://www.preplogic.com/products/mega-guides/samples/1D0510_CIW_Foundations_Sample.pdf

Would love to know the difference in terms of what you'll learn/retain, etc.

10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You can't resell them because of the licensing terms. When you purchase a product from a practice exam provider or computer-based training provider, you are granted a single-user, nontransferrable license. Which means, after you buy it, you can't sell it, trade it, or give it away to a friend... it's for your personal use only. If you post it for resale on eBay, the vendor will ask eBay to remove your auction, which they will quickly and willingly do. Rack up a number of infringements, and eBay will nuke your account.

Take a look at the licensing agreements of every PTP and CBT provider out there... every one contains those restrictions.

Not sure about the megabooks... I suspect it's covered under the same restrictions.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. JuryDuty

JuryDuty Bit Poster

Ah, that makes sense then. I just figured they were considered books akin to something like "A+ for Dummies" which you can find all over ebay or any other reseller. Well, good to know.

I think by the time it's all said and done, I'm just going to bite the bullet and get the official CIW textbooks. I've heard they're very good and they come with a CD of something like 700 practice questions. They're 5x as much as these other options, but it sounds like they contain everything I'd need.

12. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

I like the look of the Megabooks, and at that price you can't complain. Its definitely handy to have all the main points summed up in one place.

I was not disrespecting Nelly earlier, its just that Boson is actually in the "learning materials" business, Thats why I said he'll know about the copyright issues.:D

13. JuryDuty

JuryDuty Bit Poster

LOL I thought you meant because he had used the CIW books, which Nelly has also. Now it all falls into place lol.

Yeah, the Megabooks look nice, but I'm concerned they're a bit too concise compared to the self-study kits offered by CIW/ComputerPrep.

14. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

I think they are just meant to quickly summarize the main course objectives. If I was to use them, I would definitely have my course manual open at the same time to go further into topics I don't remember well (I don't actually have any CIW books, im with a Training provider called Skillstrain. They provide "bound manuals" and the "labs" Cd's which you will probably get with the materials you receive).

I think for £7, they represent a very good resource to have. Its a shame that the Megabooks are not available for ALL the modules in the "Website Design Manager" track.

15. CGooders

CGooders Bit Poster

Basically stupeas is right about the MegaGuides, I would not recommend learning only from a MegaGuide as a beginner. There is a lot to learn if you go through disks, study kits etc and these MegaGuides basically sum them disks, study kits up and point out the key points which are very useful for the CIW exams.

Personally I found both MegaGuides for Site Designer and E-Commerce very useful, I will say they dont go over everything that will appear on the exam but they cover a big majority of the exam and if you digest all within the MegaGuides you would be very close to actually booking and passing the relavant exam. It might not apply to everyone but that was my experience whilst useing these MegaGuides.

16. nellyp123

nellyp123 Byte Poster

Many thanks silver wolf....nice to know i have come to some use:biggrin
    With regards to study guides...has anyone heard of cramsession? I have all three study guides from them all for FREE. Check it out: www.cramsession.com There's loads of guides for all different certs. I am now gonna look at my training modules now that i have read boson post. Be a shame if there is restrictions as i was going to auction them off and perhaps give someone else a cheap start to there training as i once got???:tune

17. JuryDuty

JuryDuty Bit Poster

Yes, they're basically just really nicely detailed guides to what you need to learn. I've compared them with the MegaGuides listed above and they're the SAME books--just whittled down and leaving out the detailed info. (And even the MegaGuides aren't as detailed or thorough as they could be.)

18. CGooders

CGooders Bit Poster

nellyp123 you kept that one under wraps, good work on finding it though.

One question is it totally free after you join or do they get some money out of you after?

Just found they do study guides for MCAD, even better work mate, keep the good work up.

19. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yep... even worked Piracy Investigations while at the Big T... I was responsible for shutting down those eBay auctions I mentioned. ;)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  20. nellyp123

nellyp123 Byte Poster

No they haven't asked me for any money. I have had the guides for nearly two months now.
    I didn't mean to keep this one quite though....next time i find something good for free i will start a new thread!:thumbleft