USB Stick wipes on insertion

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shadowwebs, Jan 9, 2013.

1. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

So... this is an odd one, I got a call today to say that one of the library PCs, when any users plug in a USB Stick, it wipes the data off it... it is only this one PC and yet when I have plugged in multiple USB Sticks (both FAT32 & NTFS) they have worked fine.

No viruses detected.

Any ideas as to how this could be the case? I think when they say "any users plug in a USB Stick" in fact means "just the one USB Stick which was corrupt anyway"

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Are they ejecting the USB stick correctly in the first place before placing it into the library PC? Unless you can replicate the issue (repeatedly with multiple keys) then I would go with PEBKAC

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. shadowwebs

yes or my favourite, PICNIC (problem in chair, not in computer) ... from what I am aware of, they had removed the usb stick correctly in the first place but that was where my mind was leading me also.

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  4. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

I love these problems, and users in general.

I had a guy yesterday tell me that the most secure password in the world is "spelling"... because who would think of that? :blink :rolleyes:

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  5. shadowwebs

I bet he has just given away his password by telling you it was "spelling" also lol