USB ADSL problems

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by syntax_error, Nov 15, 2004.

1. syntax_error

syntax_error Bit Poster

After a fresh install of XP I installed my Aclatal Green Frog thingy-ma-jig I was able to connect but was getting the occasonal disconnect and when I tried to reconnect I was getting 'no dial tone' error after wacking it a bit it started to work, so I downloaded all my drivers etc etc and then the 'no dial tone' error struck again so I checked my cuboard and found me old bt voyager adsl modem after doing the same thing (fresh install etc etc) I'm not getting webpages freezing and a connection tray error and a 'no signal error' I can only get the internet started now if I leave my house phone of the hook ? Any surgestions ?

Here is what I thought could be the problem modem not getting enough power. removed all devices that used USB ports still no joy.

Dodgey cables. tried new stuff no joy

Dodgey line. BT reckon its ok

Dodgey adsl connection. ISP say nothing wrong on thier side (maybe their BS'ing me ?)

Dodgey phone ? My phone crackles when I use it dont have 2nd phone to test this out

Dodgey DSL Filter ? Dont have 2nd to test this out

Would anytype of spyware/virus cause this problem ?

Only thing I could think of is both modems are knacked but dont wanna go buy another one before getting a 2nd,3rd and 4th opinion 8)

BTW anyone know of good spyware removal software ?

EDIT: Moved to Internet Forum

Certifications: mcp server2k
    WIP: Network Infrastructure
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

THE CLUE:
    THE ANSWER:
    Get hold of another filter m8 - should sort you right out :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. syntax_error

syntax_error Bit Poster

thx for the quick reply i'l grab one this weekend

Certifications: mcp server2k
    WIP: Network Infrastructure
  4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

It's the likeliest answer m8 - just don't shoot me if it doesn't fix it :oops:

5. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I've had this happen to me a couple of times and it seems to sort itself out the next day, I had it only lastweek but the next day it was back to normal. Go figure? :rolleyes:

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  6. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

well im having trouble with bt and quite frankly im getting peed off with it all, the only tihng is i have to share my connection with my landlady which is why were with bt in the first place, we have a bt voyager 250 asdl modem and sometimes it will be off for days, you could try putting the modem on another phone socket in the house. i presume your on the voyager 100 which is what i had with aol and that used to go off for no reason but not as bad as the bt one i have now.tho aol said i should do spyware tests and virus tests etc and even got me goimng in to my device manager to switch the power saving mode off. apparenyly your meant to have a dsl filter in every phone socket in the house and it can only work properly if you have no more thn 4 sockets, make sense to you me neither

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

actually as far as i was aware you were not supposed to plug the modem into anywhere other than the master socket, but that could of changed a bit, i have had the damn thing for like 5 years :P

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Not strictly speaking necessary, Ryan - as long as your phone cable quality is reasonably modern, any socket should work. However, in any situation where there's a suspected prob with the ADSL sync on the line, the BT master is the first place to test from, as it rules out the rest of your internal wiring . If a BT engineer is dispatched to your house for an ADSL prob, and it's traced to your wiring, then thats your liability, and as such, you are liable for the £150-ish cost of that visit.

And I could never work out why folks refused to perform this simple test when they had ADSL probs.....was a hoot seeing those @ssh0le$ getting pumped for the cost :biggrin

9. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

cool thought it might of changed a bit gav
    I dont need microfilters in my house, i have an integrated NT4 (NTE not MS OS) with the ADSL and Phone socket as the 'master' socket in my house, like i said ive had it for 5 years, that plugs directly into my adsl modem, no splitter (like what i had 6 years ago hehe) and no filters on every extension required

10. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

do u happen to have a cordless digital phone? cos what the others have told you is correct but if you have a digital cordless phone this may well be the cause...so unplug it and see how you go with that.

and Gav I know how you feel whenyou expect customers to do these simple tests...and yet when you tell them how much BT will charge them they dont half do the test double quick eh :D

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  11. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

heh until BT move the british demarc point from inside my premises to outside my premises they can get shafted if they think i will pay them a damn cent for maintenance on thier equipment, I am not obliged to make any changes / tests on BT owned equipment, and they cut off thier own foot with that one, I think we are one of the few countries that has the demarc point internal to our premises, same with gas equipment, its rediculous :)

12. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

I may be wrong, but I'm sure the demarcation point stops at the master socket. Wiring from then on is your (or the builder's) responsibilty, hence the charge. Thats why the master is the important point in my above post.

Will stand corrected if proven otherwise tho :)

13. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

You are right Gav. that's why if you unscrew the lower half on the BT master socket and pull it off, you will see a telephone point in the box. that is where you can test if it is BT or your network that is at fault. If you can get a dialing tone and make a call then it must be your wires that are at fault as the BT wires come into the building there.

Hope that makes sence. :rolleyes:

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  14. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

indeed gav, but my dsl socket is built into my master socket
    hence if BT want to start bitching at me about charges they can shove it ;)
    infact, there IS no extra wiring from my master socket, just a cordless i carry around :)
    this ofcourse all stems back to the days that BT was a public company/monopoly,

I do ofcourse see the point that 'if your wiring is at fault and you call a BT engineer out, its your problem'
    its just a tad annoying people have to take a day off work when the ycome round as they never can give u an exact time hehe (sorry had a few dealings with BT engineers last week at work, not happy) :D

15. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Won't argue with you there, Ryan :wink:

16. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

the socket within the master socket is known as the test socket which when I was working at BT Faults we always asked the customers to do this test otherwise if an engineer did come out and it was their equipment...well they get slapped with the charge and they wonder why they never bothered in the first place, then they have the cheek to call us and say they want to dispute the charge when they were ckearky told about it...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life