Upgrading to Server 2008 - Bump...

Discussion in 'Software' started by JonnyMX, Jun 29, 2010.

1. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Hi all.

I know sod-all about servers.
    Don't get me wrong, I like them and I can fiddle around with them a bit. I've done a couple of installs of 2003 and SQL 2000, but they were pretty straight forward 'put in disk and click next'.

It doesn't take much to go wrong to rub me up the wrong way pretty quickly.

Anyway, I've come by a pretty tidy piece of kit and have decided to have a little play to get my hand in a bit. The server is a fairly new Dell Poweredge 2900. It's running 2003 R2 x64 Standard at the moment. All is pretty calm at the moment and we're on talking terms.

I quite fancy putting 2008 on there for s**ts and giggles.

I've got a DVD ISO from Technet so we're ready to go. First problem is there's no DVD drive. Not impossible to fix, I've been playing around with MagicISO and CloneDVD and I think we can do something there by creating a virtual drive.

I've had a go and the install won't go through as an upgrade as there isn't enough room on the C: partition - it's set to 20GB at the moment and there isn't a lot I can free up. There's a 537GB data partition too.

I don't really want to spend money on tools to do any re-partitioning so I was wondering if I should try a complete re-install. There's nothing I want to keep on the server.

Any suggestions, tips or advice would be much appreciated...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

For a server, for best practices I would do a fresh install... because you don't want to carry over any issues you might have. In a production environment you would backup the data install on a new seperate server, migrate services if needed, etc.. then restore the data, test your server and then you can go live.

But in this case if you don't care about the data than I would recommend a re-install.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

get a USB DVD drive or a USB key to put the image on (there are instructions for that somewhere)
    i wouldnt try it with a virtual DVD as im not sure how the OS will handle loosing the drive at the first reboot, depends if its already copied ALL contents to local storage

try gparted for repartitioning

and yeah, if you want to practice an upgrade, do one, otherwise rebuild

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

That's kind of what was worrying me.
    I've been reading that it should be OK for an upgrade, but a bit concerned about a fresh install.

Cheers!
    :biggrin

5. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Just to add as an option:

You can also use WDS to deploy Win 2008 image over the network. You can configure disk partitioning in Unattend.xml (is this the one?)

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Cheers.

This is a stand alone machine for messing with...

:biggrin

7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

If it's the server I am thinking of :biggrin have you checked if the RD1000 is bootable?

Gonna cost a fortune to run and warm up quickly to mate!

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  8. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Ha ha!
    It may well be mate.

I could have saved money on recovering the admin password by asking you to see if A.B. still had it on a piece of bog paper in his pocket.

Happy days...

9. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

ah ha! :D

yes, you could! lol.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  10. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Got it for a good price...

Anyway, was just worried about using the RD1000 for a fresh install in case the drivers spackered up half way through.

11. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Creating a bootable USB drive is easy however I would suggest just using the Windows 7 USB Tool from MS. It will do everything you want it to.

Alternatively you can just open up Diskpart and do it yourself.

Now simply copy the contents of the DVD to the USB key and it will bootup and install Win2008 for you.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  12. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Cheers Simon.

I'll give that a try.