Upgrade of Motherboard Due to Thread Below

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Luddym, Dec 24, 2005.

1. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Hi once again guys (and gals),

I've now decided to upgrade my motherboard for one that can support 3Gb of Ram, but ive decided to keep my same 2.4Ghz, Socket 478 P4.

Basically, I want to pick up a cheap'ish Mobo from E-Bay, and just swap over the CPU, RAM, and Harddisks.

Is there anything i should look out for? Incompatability in chips?

Basically im going to be looking for a Motherboard with 3 DDR slots that take 1gig each max, for my 266Mhx Sticks. It is a given that it needs to be ATX, should have an ATA derivitave except SATA. As long as the chip slot is 478, compatable with P4 of my speed, It should be a simple job of unlocking the chip and slotting in the new mobo, Right? :D

Many thanks in advance.

PS - To think, I actually passed my A+ Hardware exam about two weeks ago, with a score of 700+ :blink Damn CPU's, always get me! :rolleyes:

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

*BUMP*

Haven't looked at hardware for ages, so don't know whats out there. Someone will though.

8)

3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Your best bet would be to find a mobo on Ebay that you think is up to the job and then see if you can download the manual (.pdf) from the manufacturer’s website. Study the spec for compatibility with your existing components.

Why do you need 3GB of RAM? I take it you need it for running a virtual server or something like that.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi,

3GB?! What OS are you running? I think XP PRO can handle 4GB....

As already said, check with the manufacturer and then buy what you desire. It seems that a lot of outlets, including Overclockers sell mobo with memory CPU etc. This way it is guaranteed to work. I have heard stories of people buying bits and bobs only to find they don't work...

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Hey,

Thanks guys. I think I have found the right Mobo, after downloading the manual as advised. :D

Looks like my chips FSB speed will fit in, as well as being in PGA 478 form too. Everything else looks hunky dory to me. The only worry is my AGP Video Card, I cant seem to find a website with the specs on, and the new board says that 'The motherboard will be damaged if you do not use the right voltage AGP card.' Oh well, fingers crossed. :biggrin

At present, Im running XP Home, but also have XP Pro to install, causing a huge dent in my pocket. :(

I recently got my VMWare lab up, only to find that I didnt have enough memory to run my Server and XP pro within it. So decided to buy more RAM . . . . and here I am with the whole unfortunate series of events. Oh well, A+ Hardware practice. :dry

Cheers for the input guys, much appreciated.

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard