Upgrade Exams

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by simongrahamuk, Jan 7, 2006.

1. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Ok, I know that there are many people on this fourm that are going to do the upgrade exams, but has anyone actually sat them yet? and if so how did you find them?

Does anyone actually have any recommendations as to what resources to use when studying up for these beasts?

Personally I don't know weather to upgrade my 'A' or not, as I simply don't feel that I apply all of the skills I learn't whilst gaining it.

One minute I'm thinking about it, the next I've decided against it, someone please make my mind up for me!

:blink

2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

well simon its not exactly an "upgrade" as such from mcsa to mcse..but i think its worth it.. its three more exams i think or is it 4? In my opinion the way MCSE has been downgraded its not worth sticking with the MCSA in the long run so go for it man!

And sorry im just starting out with MCSE so cant say i have even seen the objectives! 8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Sorry, I mean't 2K to 2K3 upgrades! :oops:

There's no way that I have the skills to go from 'A' to 'E', even though for me it is only two more exams. (Design Exam and an Elective)

8)

4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

so we talking about MCSA 2000 to MCSE 2003? if thats the case then its more than two exams? :rolleyes:

EDIT: my mistake simon sorry, you right 70-296 and 70-292..:ohmy

EDIT 2: Are you using Server 2003 in a work enviroment? From what i have heard they are killer exams but passable looking from the objectives..

5. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

I'm on that exact same path now. I have my MCSA2K and I'm working on MCSE2K3. The exams are:
    70-292 A2K to A2K3 upgrade
    70-293 2K3 Infrastructure
    70-294 2K3 Active Directory
    Plus a design exam.

MCSA2K serves and the elective for MCSE2K3.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Sorry, I'm not making myself very clear - Not feeling too well, and a bit busy doing other stuff!

What I'm talking about is upgrading my MCSA 2k to MCSA 2k3, which is one exam.

If I wanted to upgrade my MCSA 2k to MCSE 2k then I would have two exams to do (I already have the core exams)

To upgrade my MCSA 2k to MCSE 2k3 I would have to do four exams - first upgrade A to E in 2k, then E2k to E2k3. (it's alphabet soup!)

There's no way that I would feel comfortable doing the extra stuff to get the MCSE (on either track), so I'm wondering should I upgrade the from an MCSA 2k to an MCSA on 2k3, given that I don't feel that I apply a lot of the skills that I learn't in the first place.

:ohmy

7. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

I feel the same way, but I'm looking at it from this perspective:

Usually, more certs look good on your resume.

Plus, if a perspective employeer looks at your resume and sees MCSA 2K & 2K3, then they'll know you have SOME working knowledge of Server 2003.

I know it seems a long uphill battle now, I feel the same way. But I also believe it'll be worth it in the long run.

8. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Thanks for the advice guy's.

Geek - Have you taken 292 yet? if so how did you find it? What resources did/are you use(ing)?

During the course of this thread I've ordered this book and will have to start reading it when I find the time, which will probably be July! :biggrin

9. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

i think you should maybe get THIS too eventually..

10. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

I'm using the M$ Press 292-296 upgrade book, the Syngress 292 book, and VMware.

No, I haven't taken the exam yet. The Transcender is kicking my arse.

11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Knowing you Simon I would have to say yes.

I don't think you are being fair on yourself. Hardly anybody gets to use *all* of the skills they learn on a daily basis, it just isn't practical.

I know of a person that is truly brilliant that works for a very large international company in third level support. He only gets to troubleshoot OS issues. There are other people responsible for DNS and another group of people look after Active Directory.

I doubt there are many MCSA/MCSEs that utilise all the skills they learned on a daily basis. You just need to get stuck in and do what you can when the opportunities arrive.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  12. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Hi All

As an MCSE I think I use about 20% of what I did for the exams - I never touch client or server! My area is networking and Windows/UNIX connectivity.

Go for the MCSA upgrade then get your W2K Engineer exams you maybe surprised how easy it is - they are the application of the stuff you know at Administrator level, e.g. design a network - think about where you are going to place routers and switches rather then just thinking that they are there and can they pass a request for an IP address over them.

13. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hi Sandy long time no see :biggrin

Checked out your site and it's very impressive 8)

Just one glitch, the menu items do not appear in Opera, I had to copy/paste the URL into IE :rolleyes:

How are you going to fit doing the upgrade exams into your already busy schedule?

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)