Update on OK law on DRM issues

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by ffreeloader, Jun 20, 2006.

1. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

From the newspaper that originally carried the story about the law in OK regarding drm and giving software, hardware, and internet providers the right to not only read user's hard drives at will but to also delete files and turn over evidence of any type of illegal activity to police for further enforcement, comes the following update:

The rest of the article can be read at the hyper link I gave above.

What I would really like to point out here are two things: (1) that when the large corporations were denied the right to read user's hard drives and personal information, they opposed the bill. (2) The software companies are once again given credit for having written the bill.

What does that tell you about why these companies wanted the bill? The very scary part of this is that this same law has been put through in 12 other states because nobody blew the whistle.

I commend the Oklahoma Gazette for paying attention to what is going on, and for caring about their reader's rights and privacy. This also points out what I have been saying elsewhere: public pressure brought about by educating people on how their rights are being taken away by the large IT companies is the best way to fight the tactics and goals of the computer industry.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Interesting twist there Freddy.

What confuses me, is how can a law made anywhere in America be it OK or Washington DC have any effect on people using computers in China or anywhere else in the world?

Do Americans give a jot about any of our draconian laws in Queensland?

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I guess I don't understand what you are trying to say. Do I care about what happens in Queensland? Yes. Do I care if you Aussies lose your rights? Yes. Can I speak for every other American? No. People are greedy and selfish everywhere so very few people care what happens to their nieghbors. I just happen to think the Golden Rule is a very good rule to live by, and I think the Good Samaratin was a real hero, not a fool....

The entire reason for bringing up these issues on international forums is to educate people everywhere so they can understand the issues and fight them in their own homelands.

If they don't care or understand what they will lose if they don't fight, then there's nothing I can do about that, but at least I've tried.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I am on your side Freddy, it was not a pop at you or your ideas. Let me clarify, are you saying that this law could spread, like a virus and that sooner or later it would affect other states, countries and continents? :rolleyes:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

Unfortunately, Bluerinse, that's exactly how it happens. Usually, the text of such legislation is penned by folks more interested in money and political gain, *rather* than guarding civil liberties and serving their constituents. Basically, in the US, we have 'SpecialInterestGroups' -- which are just entities, with a lot of cash, that want to exert their agenda. Sometimes, with all this going on in the background, the public is unaware. Before you know it, the bill that was flying around in one state has become a law, and has been adopted in other states as well.

Yes, for a nation that spouts freedom and integrity, we've got some real issues here....

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE