Universal Governing Body

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Fergal1982, May 12, 2004.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I was just discussing this with some friends.

Hypothetical Situation: say im in the uk - and im talking to a 16yo from america - say the topic goes onto sex. now, assuming theres no actual meeting for this - which country's laws are in place? for instance - in the uk that would be perfectly legal - but in the US it would be whats known as grooming. how does the legal system decide? obviously if there was any meeting involved, the country where this took place would be the dominant body of law, but this isnt the issue here.

now, before we get into this (and i dont) i just wanted to use this as a general example. the reason i mentioned this is:

what we would ideally need is a universal governing body of law with full authority over the internet. the body of law would have full juristiction over the net, and be responsible for (overseeing) investigations, and setting and maintaining internet law.

the advantages of this would be immense, hackers, or people performing other illegal activity over the net couldnt hide behind the defense that they were in a country in which it was legal. this body would have full access, for investigative purposes, to server logs - so no country's ISP could refuse these details during an investigation.

however, there would be problems, in order to make it fully fair, you would need a representative from all the countries who give this body authorisation on the committee making the law. of course theres problems with this where one country thinks its ok, but another thinks it illegal or immoral.

so heres the exercise: what are your opinions on such a body? do you think it would work? do you think we're fast heading to a point were it WILL be implemented? what about ideas to overcome the disagreement for the laws? and what would be effective techniques the body could utilise in order to help enforce its system?

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

My first thoughts on this would be how do you enforce the unenforcable, but I got to say thats a damn good issue you raise, Fergal - think this one might generate a reply or few.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. Fergal1982

as far as physically arresting the culprits are concerned - you would have to have the police forces in the incorporated countries cooperate fully with the body.

as far as sentencing them is concerned - i suppose trials would have to be done by upstanding judges from all the countries hired by the body and retrained to adhere to the laws set out by the body (maybe a panel of judges for each case? since it would be hard to obtain jurors who would be versed enough in the law - or maybe just take jurors from all the countries, and give them enough of an understanding of the law to be effective and non-biased jurors).

not to sure jak.

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  4. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Why not start with some kind of survey for the users of the internet.
    Afterall we're the people who use it.

Just as a grounding towards people's main concerns, and how they think things should be dealt with.

Theirs far more decent people out their using the net, than scum who use the net for vile purposes, so I'm sure people would give good arguments/suggestions.

Just some kind of consultancy is what I'm getting at, at least.

5. Fergal1982

for this, you would have to find some manner in which to standardise the results between countries - i.e. since the US has a load more people, and more internet users, than other countries, americans would have the biggest say on policy from sheer number of votes alone. so you would have to find a way in which each country's voters had an equal say.

Fergal

6. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Individuals use the internet, not countries.

So are you assuming that all people in one country will vote this way, and all voters in that country will vote that way :?:

7. Fergal1982

no flex, but a majority of people in one country may feel the same about one issue - ie what is considered nudity. muslim dominant countries would think nudity is showing x amount of flesh, but other countries might think that more flesh needs to be shown before its considered nudity. or, in the example before - the US would consider that to be illegal, but the UK might not, so a large amount of americans may be inclined to vote in one particular way, in line with the laws currently in their country.

Fergal

8. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Well, divide the net into zones, from whichever country you are accessing the net from.Like each country is a domain.
    Then implement policies one ach domain from the root internet servers.

Just like you can do with small domains, you could ban certain sites from people accessing them from a certain country.

As far as what to do in the sex talk with a 16 year old, well, if it's legal to that in the UK, then your safe if your engaging in this from the UK.

The girl in the US, where maybe she has to be 18, well she's breaking the law isn't she, also.
    The person in their own country should be responsible, as why should the man in the UK acting perfectly legitimitely, have to know what other countries laws are.
    the girl in the US should be responsible for that, or ehr parents/guardians etc.

Now say if the girl was very young, and the man in his 20's.In that case it would be illegal in both countries,a nd in that case, the man in the UK should be done by UK law in my opinion, as he's a UK citizen, and the act of using the PC was done in the UK.

I think many countries can agree on the big issues, and like I said earlier, split policies between different countries.

Having said that, some countries do have strange attitudes.For example, in Denmark, paeodophiles aren't seen as a problem, in fact it's almost accepted by the police and many in society, as just one of those things.

9. Fergal1982

but, if you split it into domains, you nullify the point of having a single body of law. you might as well not have it, and just have each government create its own body. the point is to have a body which is capable to acting as though country lines didnt exist.

Fergal

10. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Wow, with the furore over the new EU constitution, which onyl involves European countries, many with the same sort of values and laws, I can't see it mate.

I did understand your question, but it's just that because I believe that to be totally unresolvable, I was putting forward my thoughts on what could be done.

I'm never one for saying can't be done, no no never, of course anything can be done.
    But acting as though countries lines don't exist.Take a look at the world today, lines very much exist.

Maybe in a few thousand years when we've all made friends and evolved slighter bigger brains that can think longer than ten minutes at a time.

11. Fergal1982

i can understand your point flex. and i agree - we're not at the stage where this kinda thing would work yet.

however, assuming that it was...........

12. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

hang on, the net was founded in the free exchange on information, and it grew because its model promoted free speech across the world
    having such a body would undermine the internet as a whole, and probably lower its use considerably

the world has become a smaller place because of the internet
    to govern it would make people ask questions whenever they engaged in a conversation 'is this legal in my country, is this legal in there country, is this legal in any country in betweeen that this data may traverse across'

the point is last time i checked, talking to anyone about anything was not illegal!
    taking certain forms of actions, ARE

groomling laws generally apply only if action is taken after, it is stated as trial evidence, etc, to demonstrate planning and intent
    i dont know of anyone who ever got nicked because someone started talking about sex

bottom line is there are not many laws anywhere against chatting, atleast not in the free world

I met my ex on the net when i was 14, and met my current gf when i was 19, ex was older than me, current gf is younger than me, i dont worry every day weather or not im breaking the law, if a form of governing body existed, i might have to.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  13. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Who watches the watchers??

How far do we take these draconian laws and censorship?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685