Unimpressed by Exam Cram A+

Discussion in 'A+' started by hbroomhall, Oct 26, 2005.

1. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I tend to buy lots of books on subjects I'm interested in, and occasionaly I get the odd dud.

Such a one is mentioned in the Title.

I bought it because it seemed to classify into the two exams more than Meyers does, and I spotted a few useful looking tables.

Sadly on reading closer I find it very muddled, so badly in places that I cannot tell quite what they are trying to say. And in other places I find major howlers. :ohmy

I have now abandoned it as hopelessly unviable.

What do other people think?

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  2. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I'm in agreement with you.

Some people love ExamCram books. I can't stand them. I tried using a couple of them when I first started out and found them absolutely useless for me. They didn't help me at all.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  3. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I buy quite a lot of books in the IT field; I've amassed quite a collection including Cisco (in...eh...anticipation of getting to my CCNA/CCNP)

Books depend on your learning style. I wouldn't buy the book Examcram just because of the title - 'cramming' suggests a hell of a load of information in a very little space. You should have made your own revision notes, dammit! :biggrin

What HB says about the information being muddled - that's just the effects of cramming, from what I gleaned watching my friends revise for their A Levels. Steer clear, and study properly!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  4. hbroomhall

While I would agree with your comments I suspect that you haven't looked at the book in question. My view is that notes should be in some sort of order and structure, and it is the lack of this in the book in question that I am complaining about.

I have no probs with cramming as such - a good set of notes, either bought or self-generated, acts as excelent reference material afterwards.

Harry.

5. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

That came across a little strongly...and wrongly :)

I browsed across the book in Ottakers, and found it a little difficult to digest; therefore I steered clear, and just worked off normal texts and my own notes.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  6. hbroomhall

No probs. I largely agreed with your sentiments anyway! :biggrin

'difficult to digest' may be an understatement! I now wish I had spent more time browsing the book, but I was in a hurry....

Harry.

7. Veteran's son

Veteran's son Megabyte Poster

I found this book helpful in passing the hardware exam! :)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  8. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I find examcram books to be very useful, but I have to admit that I do not solely depend on them alone - I use them in conjunction with other study materials, for example CBT, other books and let face it playing around with the real thing.

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  9. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I agree. I bought it (along with about every other A+ book :) ) while studying for A+ and found it a good reference. It can't be used from the ground up in my opinion.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT