Unexpected side-effect - Javascript ?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Jakamoko, Jun 7, 2004.

1. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi All,

My neighbour told me she had a Blaster/Sasser type problem at the weekend. So, I get the latest version of Stinger, plus the recent MS Security Update CD (mentioned elsewhere in this Forum) for her to install. I also tell her to get the MS patch against Sasser.

Just tonight, she tells me the virus problem is cleared, but now when she tries to view any web pages that use Javascript, she is unable to. Other pages are fine.

I've told her to go get Adaware, and if that doesn't help, download Java from Google. Failing that, I'll run a system file check on her laptop. She's currently using W2k (Service Pack unknown at this stage)

Anyone got any advice on this one, or tell me if I'm missing something here ?

Thanks for any replies in advance

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Its actually a bit of general advise, but i spose it might help here.

ive actually switched from microsoft java to sunjava. mainly because ive heard that most spamware etc that utilises java wont work much on the sunjava system. you could try installing sunjava to see if it will get up an running (but be warned, sometimes the sunjava installation program can be......tetchy!)

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Cheers Fergal - suggested that to her already. I still have loads of options at this stage, number one being restore IE to default settings.

4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Still open to advice on this one, Guys :wink:

Can't provide any more info till I get to access the machine....

5. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

this is a bit of a long shot but I've had this problem before.

Check this hosts file

C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts

What is in that? Is it more than just commented lines and one that goes like this: 127.0.0.1 localhost

If it is, then something has messed with the hosts file and you will need to remove everything except the line above.#

Also, have checked the internet explorer setting in the advanced tab?

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Well, I haven't heard back from her, so thats either good news or disaster :eek:

I never thought of the Hosts file, Si - good call. Seen a few of those messed up by spyware, etc. Will check if she comes banging my door.

Good thing is that it's a laptop, so no probs to bring here and run some tests. :onthePC