Ugrading laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zxspectrum, Aug 5, 2013.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

I have a lenovo z585, and im thinking of taking out the 1tb HD and replacing it with a 256 ssd drive, purely for speed purposes. I have an external drive which is also 1tb, and that is on usb 3, so for storing data im good to go etc.

One thing i would like to know id personal experiences of anyone who has done it here?? and any pitfalls i should avoid

I have a back up file to factory settings etc, but i was thinking of creating an image of this laptop, which is running windows 8, and then do the full reinstall with the new SSD installed??

So im thinking it should be an easy job??

ZX

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

We've upgraded a few laptops to SSD's and it give a new lease of life to older models and turbo charges the new models.

Downfalls, none so far, but tbh it's still early days :)

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. BB88

BB88 Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

I can't imagine using a mechanical hard drive for primary use anymore. Laptop or Desktop, the primary drive is solid state! :)

Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, MCSA: Office 365,, 70-410, 70-680
    WIP: CompTIA: Security+
  4. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

Agree. It's a very straightforward job - clone it, swap it and use it.

5. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Yes did this with an ageing Thinkpad T60 the other week.

Upgraded the CPU from a Core Duo (T2500) to a Core 2 Duo (T7200) and popped in an OCZ SSD and now it flies along.

More responsive than a lot of the newer stuff (Core i5) we have in!

Most SSD's come with a free available download to a cloning solution to copy your current Windows install across with ease...

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  6. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

I'm sure i read somewhere...then again maybe not,cloning a mechanical drive then using that clone on the SSD ment you didn't get all the benefits of the SSD.

I could have maybe dreamt that lol

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  7. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Yes, thankfully that was a *dream*

To be fair to you though, there has (as always..!) been some strange pseudo-science on the 'net about a few of the settings needing to be different but, TBH, if there's anything that would cause problems, a combination of the cloning program and Windows itself make sure that you end up with a perfect Windows image from your original HD onto the SSD.

NO need to worry for the end-user... :)

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
    Johnd76 likes this.
  8. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

Thanks for clearing that up

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing