Trying to get this to work (ADSL -> Cable )

Discussion in 'Networks' started by xclone, Mar 4, 2008.

1. xclone

xclone New Member

Hello all,

I am currently on a Telewest 20+ MBPS connection (so they say it is). I have a Motorola cable mode supplied by my ISP and I have a Sitecom WL173 Wireless Router. Unfortunately the Sitecom wireless router is a bit tempermental in nature and the signal strength fluctuates especially on the first floor of my house. So I figured I would go find another wireless router and probably that would help me with the signal strength issues. I found a netgear solution and since I had a pretty good feedback about netgear stuff from my friends I just bought it on eBay.... and I got ripped off as well.

This is the advertised item

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=150218014207&_trksid=p3984.cALLBUY.m311.lVI

While it was advertised as a wireless router, what I received in the end was an AOL ADSL modem / wireless router. I tried to get in contact with my seller and get my money back , but the other side turned out to be a sweet old lady who made an honest mistake. She had no clue that it was an ADSL modem. I didn't have the heart to ask her for my money back. so right now I am stuck with an ADSL modem/wireless router which I am not sure how, is useful in setting up my wireless network. If I could ever use it as a repeater, I would be happy to. Or is there a way I can still use it as a wireless router without the ADSL functionality? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

ciph

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Not possible mate.

You need this router though.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/48546

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Very similar question posted on the Netgear site. Looks like the answer is the same as what's already stated above. :ohmy

Welcome to the forum & good luck.

4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

As they said - an ADSL router is no use for cable. You should be able to recover most of your money by selling it though.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+