1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to get this to work (ADSL -> Cable )

Discussion in 'Networks' started by xclone, Mar 4, 2008.

1. xclone

xclone New Member

Hello all,

I am currently on a Telewest 20+ MBPS connection (so they say it is). I have a Motorola cable mode supplied by my ISP and I have a Sitecom WL173 Wireless Router. Unfortunately the Sitecom wireless router is a bit tempermental in nature and the signal strength fluctuates especially on the first floor of my house. So I figured I would go find another wireless router and probably that would help me with the signal strength issues. I found a netgear solution and since I had a pretty good feedback about netgear stuff from my friends I just bought it on eBay.... and I got ripped off as well.

This is the advertised item

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=150218014207&_trksid=p3984.cALLBUY.m311.lVI

While it was advertised as a wireless router, what I received in the end was an AOL ADSL modem / wireless router. I tried to get in contact with my seller and get my money back , but the other side turned out to be a sweet old lady who made an honest mistake. She had no clue that it was an ADSL modem. I didn't have the heart to ask her for my money back. so right now I am stuck with an ADSL modem/wireless router which I am not sure how, is useful in setting up my wireless network. If I could ever use it as a repeater, I would be happy to. Or is there a way I can still use it as a wireless router without the ADSL functionality? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

ciph

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Exchange 2007\2010
  3. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Very similar question posted on the Netgear site. Looks like the answer is the same as what's already stated above. :ohmy

Welcome to the forum & good luck.

4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

As they said - an ADSL router is no use for cable. You should be able to recover most of your money by selling it though.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+