Problem Transferring email address?

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by JonnyMX, Mar 4, 2011.

1. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Hi all.

I've got a mate who has just changed his broadband package from provider 'a' to provider 'b'.
    Provider 'b' salesman assured him that he could keep his existing email address.

I know little about these things, I know you can keep a phone number as long as you get your PAC code (or whatever) released by your old supplier - is there such a thing for email addresses?

Provider 'b' account settings has allowed him to add an alternate email address to his account but any emails to the old address are bouncing back.

As far as I'm concerned, provider 'a' would have binned his email as soon as he stopped his account, or is there something I don't know about? Surely [email protected] belongs to a.net?

Is there any way he can fix the problem by contacting provider 'a' and doing something?

Thanks in advance...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Some ISP's allow you to maintain your email address, usually for a fee. So I suppose he could contact them and ask. But you are correct, the email address belongs to the ISP - why are they going to allow you to continue to use their server space when you arent paying them anything? unless they normally provide it for free anyway.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. Consultant

Consultant Bit Poster

Email address usually stays with the provider, although some ISPs now do deals, or use external providers because it's one less service they need to provide for the money, for example, Tesco ask you of you want a Google or Yahoo email account when you sign up for their service.

But for the majority of cases, if you have [email protected], it's unlikely that NTL will let you keep it once you terminate service with them...

However please note that this a BIG generalization, and every scenario will be subject to the companies involved.

Cheers

T.

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, MySQL OCA
    WIP: OCP MySQL DBA
  4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Thanks guys.

Pretty much what I thought...
    I've suggested he call his old provider and see if anything can be done. Hope it's not too late.

As you say, why would an ISP allow someone to keep their address once they stop paying, and likewise, why would the new provider want a customer using a competitor's name?

5. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

Ask ISP A to set you up with a PAYG dial up connection and dial in every six months or so.

6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Thanks mate, but not sure that's what this guy had in mind.
    He got a fair amount of mail on his old account, much of it business related...

:(

7. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

To be honest the best he can hope for is a redirect from his old email to another email account.

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  8. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Perhaps then explain to him the benefits of purchasing a domain name. There are plenty of companies that will host email for a domain - and it allows him to move ISP's without changing email - people shouldn't really use ISP emails for business email really. Worst case, use gmail.

I'm fairly sure the old ISP will be able to accomodate something if he explains the situation to them. If not, he could always agree to pay the full subscription for another few months until he retrieves his mail and transitions to another account.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  9. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Cheers Fergal. :biggrin