Transcender Vs The Real Exam

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Sparky, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Just completed the Transcender tests (for MCP 70-282)and have averaged 70%. Has anyone used the Transcender tests as part of their MCP studies and if so how did they compare to the real exam in terms of difficulty?

The reason I’m posting this is the MCP 70-282 doesn’t have a MCP press pack with the usual MeasureUp questions so my preparation for this exam is different in regard to what materials I have used so far for other certs.

I might be ready to take the exam the again maybe not! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Never used them. Nope. Not once. ;)

heheheheh! :p

When I wrote for them, we attempted to match the difficulty level of the real exam. Some people thought that their exams were often more difficult than the live exam.

That said, I think 70-282 was written after my time, so I can't vouch for what has happened to the quality and/or difficulty since my departure.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Sparky

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  4. BosonMichael

That's because nobody wants to have to work on SBS servers. I know I don't. Only reason I got it was so the company I worked for could get 25 points towards their Microsoft Gold Partner status.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  5. Sparky

LOL, thats why Im doing the exam as well, for the points.

Nobody wants to work on SBS servers but small businesses (say with 20 peeps) are not going to buy a seperate DC, Mail and File server are they? :blink

6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Regarding the Transcender exams, I would say that it varies. Some were tougher than the real exam and a couple were not as tough as the real exam. I suppose that it depends on the luck of the draw ie which questions you personally get dealt from the pool.

As for your link to 70-282, although it is a nice looking house, it only has a meagre three bedrooms :dry

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. Sparky

8. BosonMichael

Quite fitting, considering the parallels to SBS. I wouldn't be surprised if some doors went to nowhere, or only allowed a few people in the house at one time. :D

9. BosonMichael

No, but some of them do buy a single Win2K3 Server and put Exchange on it rather than suffer with SBS. Depends on the company, the chances they'll expand, and their budget, I guess. I have had to work with it before. :D

10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yes and you would probably find that the mail box is an integral part of the building, possibly configured as part of the front door. I much prefer stand alone mail boxes these days 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  11. BosonMichael

And why have a separate garage? Just drive right into the great room. Ease of administration, and all that.

12. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

To get away from DIY for a second ... :)

I found the Trancender exams for the 70-270 and the 70-290 harder than the actual exams.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  13. Quarky

Quarky Byte Poster

In my limited experience: I use the Transcender exams but i wouldn't count on them solely to prepare. I don't take the exam until i can understand every aspect of what Transcender can throw at me and can get every question correct. This might seem excessive but i find that the Transcender question subjects are not exactly relevant to what you get on the exams, they're good but miss out on quite a few things.

Personally, i think if you rely on the Transcenders as your only source of practice, you might lure yourself into a false sense of security.

But as i said, i only have limited experience.

:D

Certifications: A+,270,271,272 (MCDST)
    WIP: Master CIW
  14. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  15. Kraven

Kraven Kilobyte Poster

I used transcender for the 70-270, and when I took the actual exam it seemed like the transcender questions where worded to make the question sound a little more complex, If you know what I mean.

And the Microsoft exam questions where a little easier to read and understand what the problem was. It might be the same for the 70-290 which I'm studying for at the moment.

Kraven

Certifications: Network+, MCSA, 70-680
    WIP: A+, 70-685
  16. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Well, I've used Transcenders for quite a lot of the exams I've taken. For the most part, I'd say they were very useful, and slightly harder than the real thing.

There have been exceptions to this (70-216 was a nightmare, but I don't think thats due to the transcender being too 'easy' - more to do with the fact that the exam itself was an utter bastard!)

70-229 was pretty crappy too - the examples in there were not in the slightest bit similar to the type of questions I received on the actual exam - with the odd exception of one question which was SO similar it was almost like a braindump.

Overall, I'd say transcenders are very useful - but only when used in conjunction with other practice tests (no substitute for printed book tests I find - especially those without multiple choice answers, as you'll end up testing your knowledge far better than if you have a selection of answers to choose from)

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  17. Kraven

Kraven Kilobyte Poster

zebulebu - Just been watching your Fear Factory cover, pretty awesome.

Certifications: Network+, MCSA, 70-680
    WIP: A+, 70-685
  18. BosonMichael

For some exams, it becomes impossible to become MORE difficult than the real exam! CCNA's that way too, in my opinion... the coverage is already a mile wide.

There are only so many ways to ask a question about a topic. It is inevitable that there will be a scattered question every now and then which looks quite similar to one on the live exam. That said, that's too bad that the remainder of the product didn't help you more. If I'm not mistaken, the guy who did 70-229 did 70-228 as well.

19. Sparky

Thanks for the input guys. I’m not just using the Transcenders for the exam, I’ve been doing the usual book reading and lab work. Going for the exam soon.... :biggrin

20. C4sper

C4sper Byte Poster

transcender gives you a quite good picture of what you...

DON'T KNOW :)

that's how i'm using it.

so far (both CompTIA+ and MCDST) passed >90%, helped me well

Certifications: ECDL, A+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA