training provider help?!?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by moominboy, Aug 25, 2005.

1. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

thought this'd be the best place for this one, almost signed up for compu-teach recently for a course including comtia A+,N+,MCSE/MCSA and security + all for £5200, going up to £5800 soon. but was also quoted around £500 for comptia a+ and n+ and mcse with tutor support by a company called learniton-line. doesany one know why there would be such a massive difference in costs and would buying cheap mean weak course support and instruction? im just very wary about getting my fingers burned as im not exactly rolling in cash at the mo! cheers all. :)

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  2. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Look into teaching yourself. Get the Mike Myers A+ book, a couple of old computers to play with, the OS's you'll need to use in A+, some practice exams from someplace like Selftest Software, and go for it. You can get all the help you need when you get stuck from forums like this one.

Why pay outrageous sums of money for what you can get for free? There are a lot of people around who are willing to help. Even if you pay a ton of money to a training provider you'll still have to shell out for the hardware and software you'll need to do the hands on learning you'll need. So what is it that you'll really get for the money a training company charges that you can't get elsewhere for much cheaper?

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

What he said. :biggrin

4. Sarah

Sarah Byte Poster

5. moominboy

thanks all for the tips, how much is normal to pay for the actual certification exams? :p

6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi,

I agree with what everyone else has said.
    The Comptia exams are around the £100 mark in the UK. Keep your eyes peeled on the www.getcertified4less.com site as sometimes you can save. I paid £120 for my A+ core and $89 for the A+ OS! Never taken a MS exam but I'm sure someone will be along who has soon!
    Best of luck. There is always plenty of help here and books are just a click away. :D

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  7. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Someone posted a list of all the certification exam prices recently in another thread but I cant find it. :rolleyes:

8. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Found it!

The prices are in this thread

8)

9. moominboy

cheers simon, thanks a lot for your help mate! :p