Training Provider Challange

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by iank, Nov 24, 2005.

1. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

To be perfectly frank with you, that's none of your business. Yes I did use a provider and I would now do things diffently. As to who it was, look hard enough and you'll find out who I used.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I'm not quite sure what you're hoping to accomplish with all this, iank. Certainly, the various training providers you cite don't have to give a rip about any sort of "challange" that you issue.

The primary purpose of CertForums is to help students (whether they self-study, use a private training vendor, or other formalized education) learn IT and advance their careers. We don't shill for any training provider and in fact, we work quite hard to remain neutral.

If I understand your tone correctly, you are at least implying that CFmight be influenced by one or more private training providers. This of course is not true. Please keep in mind that all members at CF at here voluntarily and because they enjoy the interactions with each other and the educational opportunities afforded us by our more experienced membership.

If you believe we are something other than what I describe, you can PM me about it. If you feel CF is somehow dishonest and untrustworthy then quite frankly, you don't have to continue to visit the site. You are welcome to continue here and you do have free speech rights. However, it might be a good idea if you tried to participate in a more positive manner and discuss topics other than training providers. Just a thought.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Well, I don't know about the mods and administrators being shills for training providers as I've seen them say some pretty hard things about some of the things training providers do, but they sure are MS shills.... Especially Trip. He won't have anything to do with Linux. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I love you too, sweetheart. Read my sig. :evil :tongue

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I am a relatively new moderator and as such have only recently been privy to what goes on behind the scenes here. It was a real eye opener for me. There is a totally unbiased team of experienced professional people working together to keep this forum free from spammers, brain-dumpers, and any other posts which could be considered detrimental to the purpose of this site.

If you take the time to read what has been said by myself and other moderators here, you will see the same thing suggested time and time again. In a nutshell it usually goes like this. Self study and save your money for a home lab. How that can be considered as a shill god only knows :blink

And you point about the adds (not that I see any adds) is bordering on the ridiculous :biggrin

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. Connectivity

Connectivity Bit Poster

Hi readers,

I must admit this is the first time i have come accross this forum. I work at Connectivity and i would be happy to discuss the do' and don'ts when talking to training providers. I have worked in training for over 6 years, starting out with Wave Technologies, who sold the origional boot camp. I do feel there are alot of pitfalls in training and job placements and i would try to give my honest opinion rather than sales speel.

Ther are companies that offer a decent service and there are those that will make you 'pass' test before being allowed onto their course. I know my competitors very well and again would give a honest opinion.

If anyone wants to ask me questions.........try me!

7. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Hi There, welcome to CF! :biggrin

Your presence here is most welcome!

How about popping up to the New Members Forum and introducing yourself there, as I'm sure there are a few people who'd love to quiz you and they may not all see this thread!

8)

8. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Look at that!
    One of them's turned up and now he's buggered off. :ninja
    Where's all these questions then?

(Oh, and hi by the way connectivity)

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  9. johnM

johnM New Member

I am having problems with my Training Provider but are all students with all providers having problems (are all owners of Mercedes cars having concerns) some of us do blame others before we blame ourselves, yes some of these providers are rip off merchants, I did not go with Computeach because I would have had to go to Dudley for the training days (my choice) but I have spoken to others who are doing well on the courses chosen and I know a few doing an OU course who say the OU are rubbish, I think some people do go on a course that is not suitable for them and then just like to say the salesman sold me the wrong course and no I am not backing the providers (just let me get my hands on mine) but some people do buy the wrong cars, homes, holidays and yes training courses.

10. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Hi John.
    Nobody likes being suckered. It's never your fault when you crash the car either.
    I think you're quite right in what you say. We are very quick to criticise and blame. In one of my last jobs, I worked in a service industry, and a lot of our letters were complaints. Yet the service was actually quite good. It's funny, but people will go out of their way to moan. They'll write you a letter, they don't want anything, they just want to spend ten minutes of their time telling you how lousy they think you are.
    But in most cases, the dissatisfied people are in the minority, yet they make the most noise. I have great respect for people who take the time out to say 'thanks, well done'. It takes the same amount of time, yet people don't do it.

I'm sure you can find websites and blogs out there 'Don't buy a Mercedes, this is what they did to me...' but I guess you won't find many 'I bought a Mercedes and it's great'. I don't think that's a reflection on Mercedes, it's a comment on human nature.

I think it's a shame that people use this forum as a stick to beat their training provider. You are right in many cases, 'it's US'. If I sign up for a mortgage, then decide I don't like the deal three months down the line I can't cancel it, but I don't go running down the street saying that the Halifax (or whoever) have conned me.

Oh well.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  11. IT 2005

IT 2005 Bit Poster

Well don Lank you know as well as i 9from experience with 3 training providers ) that the training industry is full of liars, decitful and cowboy firms sue them all with a firm like********** i did and won.

i had ccna training in post house hotel heathrow , the tutor told us all about his family problems, made us take 2 hours for lunch, 30 min tea break, start at 10 finish at 4.30 and 3pm on friday, i was the only one private eveybody else was BT paid and other paid for training, it ewas awful and i goyt my money back, NH are getting sued in New zEALAND AND usa FOR RUBBISH TRAINING,

12. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

with spelling and grammer of that calibre you gotta work for that legal company for sure :D

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  13. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

That link does seem to be appearing a bit.

And my opinon (not Certforums) is that if you've gone to 3 different providers and decided to take them all to Court because their course is not to scratch, you either:

1) Don't research your providers before signing on the dotted line.

2) Expect too much - learning is a 2 way process.

3) Talk utter c**p.

Sorry to sound harsh, but problems with 3 different providers sounds a bit far fetched.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  14. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

Arronyn, you're dead right in all you say, but I think its far simpler.. the guy either works for, gets commision for or otherwise represents this company...

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  15. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Let's see if a one month ban shuts up our gOLDEN bOY !!!!

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  16. trislloyd

trislloyd Nibble Poster

A couple of things really - as most people in this forum will know by now, i had a career development loan for my M.C.S.E, £4,500 grand i think it was! I asked questions when the sales guy came to my house and was pretty sure it was the right thing to do at the time (by the way, they did promise me the world, never said anything about work experience!) They then went into liquidation (even though i know they are trading under a new name!) so the bank still wants it's money and i have nothing to show for it. Went to my solicitors and Citizens advice and contacted other people who were studying with this training provider and were subject to the same fate - you don't have a leg to stand on cause they went into liquidation is what i was told!

Onto my other point - even though i'm £4,500 grand down it made me realise i would benefit more from training myself (i'd retain the information better and i'm the kind of person that doesn't need any outside motivation). I do wish i'd never gone with this training provider but i've learned my lesson and they aren't all bad! I will say though that they do try and give you the hard sell and sometimes the deadlines may be asking a bit much of some of the people who sign up for these courses as most of them see it as a way to change their lives without having much I.T knowledge in the first place! As for this forum being run by biased people who want to protect training providers? Not at all! These people just want to share their knowledge and help people - better this than it being run by people who have had bad experiences with training providers and are now bitter towards them! You make your own choices - good or bad. But at least by reading some of the posts in this forum you can make a better educated choice, an informed choice. I just wish i had found this place before i signed up with the training provider!

Certifications: Comptia A+, Comptia Network+, MCP
    WIP: MCSE, specializing in Cisco