Tips for Network+

Discussion in 'Network+' started by jackbauer, Oct 14, 2005.

1. jackbauer

jackbauer Bit Poster

Hi guys

I am planning to take my Network+ exam at the end of october, but I thought I would just see if there is any advice or tips you would like to give me about the network+ exam.

I am using the CBT nuggets and some material i got from techexams.net but I thought that somebody might have some advice and tips for this exam, as I have not passed any IT exams to date this would be my first qualification and I really need it to be able to advance in the IT industry.

I have already attempted my CCNA exam but i failed by 3% :cry: , so i it kinda caused me to have a phobia when it comes to IT exams. ( In case your wondering why i am not repeating the ccna exam is because i need this exam for my IT Professional cert from C&G). :dry

Thanks Guys in advance for your help. :biggrin
    Jack

Certifications: NVQ3 for IT Professionals.
    WIP: ITP, N+, Security +, CCNA, MCP
  2. Veteran's son

Veteran's son Megabyte Poster

Try not to get discouraged! :)
    All the best with your next IT exam! :)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I'd recommend a good, solid textbook. Video and web is all fine and well, but I guess I'm old fashioned enough to need to hold something in my hand and be able to refer back to it.

If you only missed the CCNA by 3%, you were close. That means you have some networking down already so this isn't completely new to you.

Know the OSI layer up and down, backwards and forwards. There are some new questions about Linux/UNIX utilities such as dig and ifconfig that weren't on previous versions. You might want to spend a little time getting to know about them if you haven't already.

As far as I know, there are no flash items on the Network+ like there is on the CCNA but there are drag and drop and other graphic and interactive items.

Don't let not passing a cert exam get you too down. Almost everyone fails a test at least once. The important thing is to get back on that horse and ride it into the ground next time.

Good luck. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. jackbauer

jackbauer Bit Poster

Thanks for the great advice guys.

Im gonna go and get the Mike Myers N+ book but could you like give me a heads up if its got some good material, i just dont want to get one thats got all info in it and does not make any sense. :lol:

Also i just want to know if in the N+ exam can i go back or flag questions, because the CCNA one you cant even go back once you press next, thats it no turnin back.

thanks for the great advice guys. :thumbleft
    Jack

5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Yes...as I recall you can go back and change your answers on the Network+

6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Yup, you can review your answers.

HTH :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  7. jackbauer

jackbauer Bit Poster

thanks guys
    you have made me feel alot more comfortable about the exam.

jack :D

8. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Also be sure to know what protocols reside in each layer, and what protocols are and are not routeable.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  9. jackbauer

jackbauer Bit Poster

thanks mate

also do i need to know about addvanced configurations you know like the ones in the CCNA exams (EIGRP,OSPF,RIPv1,RIPv2, etc)

cheers

10. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I might be too late here but for what it's worth I'd go for the Sybex N+ book by David Groth. I personally think he's a lot better at Network+ that Mike Meyers and as for the CBT Nuggets for N+ by Mike Meyers, well.....it just made me read more of the Sybex book. As an A+ guy he's the guru, but N+.......:rolleyes: IMHO.

Good luck for the exam. :thumbleft

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  11. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Jack, you can go to comptia's site at http://www.comptia.org and download the pdf with the exact requirements for the exam. In this case they don't include any routing protoocols. It's best to be prepared for what the exam does expect you to know.

12. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I found the Trancender practice tests for the N+ very good. They went into more detail than I needed for the cert which forced me to read up and understand better the questions I was getting wrong. When I took the N+ I found it easier than the exam sims I had done and got a good pass because of this.

It also gives you more confidence during the exam if you are finding the questions to be easier than expected.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada