timer problems

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by zxspectrum, Jan 4, 2008.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Hi people, sorry ive not been round for awhile but im back in hospita and have started dialysis.

Anyway im here for advice in helping one of the nurses.

At the hospital they have access to the internet, but because of some staff they abusing it they have been restricted to 10 mins then then what ever they are browsing, cuts off and they have to wait an hour to get back on for another 10 mins . They all have user names but the nurse i want to help would like it so that she could just browse at her lesuire, is there anyway around this.

Before some people tell me she may get into trouble for it , ive already explained, and shes still not bothered so any help is welcomed. The machines are runnnig xp with sp2 i suspect

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Hey Ed,

Sorry to hear you're in hospital, hope you get well soon.

As for the internet being timed, without knowing too much about the setup I would imagine that there is some sort of proxy server/software that the staff have to connect to prior to gaining access to the internet. It could even be controlled by a GPO.

I doubt that the average user would have permission to get around this or change the proxy settings without violating the hospital IT policy and facing some sort of disciplinary action.

However, someone may be able to offer you some sort of trick or tip to help you out!

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Doubt it, sounds like it is locked down at the gateway.

Also not a good idea, she might get the sack.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

not to mention that, by supplying the information yourself, would you not also be liable? I suspect that if the hospital discovered that you supplied a hack to circumvent network security, they could report you to the police, or raise a civil case against you.

Tell the lazy cow to get off her arse and do the job shes paid to do, rather than browsing shopping sites.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yep, that sort of stuff is grounds for instant termination in most places. At best, they'll likely get reprimanded and banned from accessing the Internet at ALL.

Secondly, the reason she can't use the Internet for more than 10 minutes at a time is because people like her were abusing the privilege. If management wanted them on for longer, they'd be allowed to do so.

Thirdly, since it's a hospital, it's likely using something very advanced. At our 450-user health care company, we used Websense at the gateway, and you'd need to be an admin to adjust it.

Fergal's right - even if you COULD tweak it, you don't want to mess with the network security of a health care facility... you start getting into some very legally dangerous waters.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Sparky

well said! :clap

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  7. zxspectrum

Well i expected some responses telling me about the pit falls of of her getting sacked which i already explained to her, but calling her a lazy cow is a bit OTT seeing as mainly she does nights and theres not as much activity as opposed to the day time. In the night she does stuff lke look after a whole ward of patients including myself, and has been tremendous in helping me on the dialysis machine.

Secondly she used the net for informatiion regarding creatinine, which is stuff my kidneys is meant to get rid of but as they are up the wall they are struggling, hence the dialysis. And thirdly she didnt approach me iofered to try and help as i know shes not your typical you tube person and wouldt take the mickey.

so if after that you still feel you would like to help me to help her i really would be very greatful

Sorry for the rant i dont normally get miffed in here

Ed

8. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Firstly, its whats called a tongue-in-cheek comment.

But for the record, it makes no odds either way whether she helps you with your illness or not, you are asking for information to circumvent a legitimate security measure in place on a business network. I wont supply the information for two simple facts: 1) I dont want to put myself in a position where I could possibly be held accountable for my advice; and 2) I am firmly of the opinion that legitimate security measures should not be circumvented. Im fairly sure im not in the minority here on this one either.

If she has a legitimate reason to be using the internet for more than 10 mins per hour, then she should appeal to the relevant authorities, stating her case for needing it. If its judged to be legit, she will be granted an extended period of time, or have the restriction lifted for her. Dont think for a second an exception cant be made. Do you really think that the execs at the hospital are governed by the same rules? No, so there will be rules, or alternative gateways in existance that she can be routed to in order to lift the restriction for her.

I appreciate that you feel grateful towards her for her help and assistance, but helping her to breach her employers computer use is highly unethical to start with, and just plain not the way to express that gratitude.

Edit: Just to add to that, its like someone stopping a car from running you over, and you repaying them by helping them rob a bank.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  9. zxspectrum

Well firstly i know the consequences of what im asking and IF i ws caught then id hardly say oh yeah some guys from some forum told me about what to do. Secondly its only for net purposes not for illegal purposes , but i suppose its quite hard to see things when you place yourself on the morale high ground, whats it like up there, i must find out one day

Ed

10. Sparky

Fair enough mate, surely she has a legitimate case for using the net and therefore the restrictions can be removed?

11. zxspectrum

Sorry Fergal. last comment from me was a bit harsh, im just sounding off and didmt mean to get personal

The nurse does have legit reasons for using the net and if i thoght she took thi mickey then i wouldnt help, basically shes been tarred with the same brush, some one was taking the mickey le using you tube etc, and thats why these restrictions are imposed.

Ed

12. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

I doubt that anyone will be to help you get round this. It sounds like she has a legit reason to use the net, so she should speak to the administrators to get it lifted. If she did abuse the net after that they could sharp lock it down again. Good luck on your recovery mate.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  13. BrotherBill

BrotherBill Byte Poster

If she has a legitimate reason for using the web more than her allotted time, the administration will understand and most likely lift the restrictions against her. What you're suggesting is in most cases against the law and may be subject to serious repercussions. As a friend, you should encourage her to follow the proper channels and not take a chance on her career. That's what friends are for. It's not just where she works now, but if caught, there is a chance she will never work in the same profession again. It's really not worth the risk.

14. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You don't, or you wouldn't be asking.

Doesn't matter if it's for illegal purposes; her supervisors have restricted it. Fergal's right (rep given) - security measures are in place for a reason.

I don't place myself on the moral high ground (and neither does Fergal, I assume)... I place myself in the shoes of a network administrator who has had to block that sorta crap in a healthcare environment. Morals have nothing to do with it.

If she wants her restrictions lifted, she should simply ASK her supervisor. If they agree, they'll lift them. If they don't, they won't... and if that's the case, then there's a reason for it. It may not be a reason she agrees with, but it's THEIR decision. Not hers, not yours, and not mine.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!